This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

AlexK
    Participant
    7 pts

Marry Christmas everybody! It’s a long story but I’ll share it with you guys. My wife asked me if I wanted to go got a bike ride to white mesa. I thought it was a trap question since we don’t get out much lately with teething baby. I didn’t need to be asked twice. Grabbed bicycle and went to white mesa. It’s a bit of a drive 70-80 miles but the place is very special. The mesa I’ve painted is near by. I took some photos in hope I’ll get to paint it.

My son gave me a chance to paint and I took it:) I paid for it with lack of sleep though but that’s ok. I didn’t have much hope something decent would come out and painted in moleskin sketchbook. (What a lousy paper ) but painting went better than usual and I should of used real paper but too late now. It has many flaws but was fast and spontaneous which I like. The sky is mostly Prussian blue. I seem to like the color even though it’s greenish.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97480 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    19 pts

Really nice sketch Alex.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #97482 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    12 pts

Very nice!  I like the loose style of this one.

Paula

• #97483 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Love this one, Alex.  Well Done.

• #97486 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Lots of movement in this landscape.  Well done.  You are fortunate to live in such a scenic part of America.  So much to paint.

• #97492 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    12 pts

Thats a great sketch Alex, especially using moleskin sketchbook paper. i have gone off using it because if you like to use lots of water as i do it doesnt handle that well, so using a dryer paint works better, seems you found a good balance and produced a succesful sketch, well done

• #97499 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks Annette. I can’t wait when my moleskin is out of pages:) I’m surprised to see so many people seem like it.

• #97500 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Nice painting and the sky is so typical of moleskune. I haven’t used mine in a while but i know its a challenge with the paint not stickng well. What are you using for paints? My recollection is that my Cotman travel set did better than my normal WN professional paints.

I wonder if there are videos on how to paint in a moleskine?

the mountains are great. Maybe you’ll post the same painting on real paper along with the sketch so we can see the difference in papers.

• #97511 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      7 pts

You’re absolutely right David! Cotman works better on this paper. I use Prussian blue MGrahm and this pigment is so active as soon as you touch anything wet it runs in with speed of sound 🙂 but cotman is completely different. It’s more like ultramarine blue not so violent and stays where you put it. I really don’t care anymore fore this behavior of some M Graham paints. There quite a few of them being  just so active. Thanks for your input!

• #97501 Score: 0

RandyLouise
    Participant
    2 pts

Super nice Alex. Moleskin paper is awful. But it does keep you fresh because it can’t be worked. It’s ok for color sketching and making notes. Sounds like a lovely day though.

http://mypaintedmemories.wordpress.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/yourwatercolormemory

• #97510 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    7 pts

Thanks everybody for friendly visit. It’s good to have you here guys!

• #97515 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Lovely painting  well done.  Love they style and love seeing different parts of the world

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #97520 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    12 pts

There’s someone on Ebay who makes handmade sketchbooks with Arches watercolor paper. They are great! Just search for Watercolor field books. His seller name is ran2424.

Paula

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Paula.
    • #97523 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks Paula! I just got myself a Christmas present. It’s a Kilimanjaro natural white watercolor sketchbook. 25 sheets of real 140lb cold press paper. Spiral bound. I like it quite a bit. But I think it’s my last one. I just want to stick with my 1/8 imperial. It’s just right size for what I sketch.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.