Your Watercolour Paintings Very quick sketch of a boring house

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Something I admire in other painters is the ability to make any old boring view look spectacular. I am nowhere near pulling that off. But I figured I’d never learn if I don’t try. So I painted the view outside my kitchen window. It’s a very boring, uninteresting house. And lots of greens (not something I’m good at). It’s a scene I’d never choose to paint, if it wasn’t just for the sake of shaking things up. To make matters even worse, I switched to a 1/2 inch flat brush. (I mostly use rounds or mop brushes.)

The result is not particularly interesting, but I did manage to not overanalyse things (until I switched to a small brush for the details of the house, when I should have probably just stuck to the flat brush). Maybe next time I have a plein air opportunity, but no exciting view, I might give it a try anyway. I ordered a new sketchbook today. Even though I haven’t used my Moleskine much lately, it is almost full. My next one will be a Stillman & Birn. I really want to get better at sketching anywhere at anytime, and then I can’t be too fuzzy about the scenery.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95281 Score: 1

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Your picture reminds me of the course I’m running on Udemy.  It covers how to make uninteresting scenes more interesting. The object is we use artistic license to enhance the scene by creating a stronger light source, adding colour where we can’t necessarily see it.  If your interested in doing the course its just over an hour it might help out a bit. Let me know and I’ll send you a coupon in Patreon.

I would agree its hard get excited about your painting as it lacks impact. Although it does show you can paint loosely and draw well.

Patrick

• #95282 Score: 0

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

I’d like to hear what you think about the Sillman & Burn sketchbook, i assume you got an alpha or beta? I’ve been thinking about trying one out, but didn’t get around to it yet.

• #95283 Score: 0

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

Nothing wrong with the painting really… its just plain 🙂

Maybe you could try changing the colour hues and temperature completely to make more interest, like that ian fennelly guy does? I’ve tried to steal his style a couple times with no luck, but im sure you could pull it off.

• #95284 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks, Patrick! I would love that! Yeah, it’s not a very impactful scene, but I was very happy to be able to paint the greenery loosely, and to make the whole thing much brighter than it really is (it’s a rainy day). It was just a small piece of scrap paper that I didn’t know what to do with. 🙂

Casper, I’ll let you know! I got the beta, but I have no idea what the difference is between alpha and beta. I never heard of this brand until today! I am very excited to try it out though. I saw someone make beautiful sketches in one, so I’m of course expecting to be just as good when I get mine. 😉

• #95285 Score: 0

casper
      Participant
      5 pts

Here are the different kinds: https://www.stillmanandbirn.com/specs.html

About a month ago, one of the danish art shops i normally use got them, so i guess ill have to get one next time i order from them. Still have lots of homemade ones to go through though, but one can never have too many sketchbooks!

• #95287 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

Ah, that’s good to know. Looks like I made the right choice ordering beta. I ordered mine from Jackson’s. I don’t think any Norwegian shop sells them. I got the spiral bound and I sort of like the idea that I can pull it out if I make something i really like. I would never do that with a bound sketchbook.

• #95286 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Oh, I didn’t see your second comment there, Casper. Yeah, I think Fennelly’s style is a bit much to handle for me right now. I was happy to just turn the grey sky into a blue one! 🙂 But anyway, my main concern was getting used to painting whatever is available to me.

• #95295 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Might sound like a stupid question but now does Sillman & Burn sketchbook stand up to moleskin?  I would be interest to try something different.

Patrick

• #95305 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

I’m not really sure, Patrick, but they seem to come in many sizes and shapes, bound and with just a spiral. The paper is thicker, but I can’t really figure out whether it’s cotton or cellulose. It doesn’t seem to say anywhere. Which I guess means that it is cellulose. I’ve seen people do great things on them, but then again, I’ve seen people do things in Moleskine that I’ve never been able to do! 🙂 As I’ve only tried Moleskine so far, I wanted to try something else next.

• #95299 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    10 pts

I recently bought an excellent sketchbook on ebay. It’s handmade from Arches paper and not expensive, but you have to search “watercolor field book.” Different sizes are available.  Different papers, too. The seller is ran2424. Much better than Moleskin!

• #95304 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

I’ve seen those, Paula! I don’t remember why I didn’t order, but it might be because shipping to Norway was very high. But they looked really nice.

• #95301 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    18 pts

Stormy sky and a red roof to compliment the greens would have been the way I would have gone just to be different.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #95306 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

That is a great idea, Brian!

• #95309 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Just found the eBay listing for ran2424 the books look excellent and if he was UK based I would definitely buy. With shipping and import tax the books just come out too expensive. I like the idea of the ring binder to quickly make a book opposed to stitching like I did in previous books. I may well investigate that further.

Thanks for all the info.

Patrick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.