Your Watercolour Paintings Two window sketches

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Dee 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

With the intention of testing my new Pentel brush pen, I did these two sketches. I wanted to try to translate the shadow areas to black completely. I’m not really getting the feel I want, and the hardest part is the views outside the window. This is partially due to the paper I’m painting on. It’s Moleskine, and here you can clearly see my problems with the “greasy” paper. In some places it almost looks like I’ve sprinkled the paper with salt, or just missed spots. And I’m still not particularly good with greens or trees. All this also leads to sloppy efforts on my part. BUT, practice makes perfect, so maybe one day I’ll get to a place I feel comfortable with.

Oh, and both of these are done from photos I found online, so not my originals. We don’t really have cafés around where I live. Although I did stop by a pop up café in someone’s private home yesterday and gobbled down on French pastries until all my money was gone. No time for sketching then!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96161 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

These are really nice, Agathe! I like the  black, it really adds some drama. I think your foliage is lovely. I totally understand how it can be tricky, sometimes my greens get real messy! But I think you’ve done well considering the misbehaving paper! I really like the second sketch, too! Well done !  😀

• #96167 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Absolutely charming watercolour. I love this style your working with, so much clarity in your work. The perspective on the table then the distant view looking out of the window is superb.  Your work is very creative and you have a unique style of putting together unusual viewpoints. Top marks for this one Agathe 🙂

Patrick

• #96168 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks so much for your feedback! I want to continue to practice the black shadows as it is a quicker and easier way to sketch. Also I love the Pentel brush pen. It’s not refillable (you can change cartridges, but there are no converters to it), but the ink that comes with it seems to stay put when I go over it with watercolor. It’s also much darker than the result I’ve gotten from other similar pens that I fill with my own ink.

• #96177 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

I always enjoy your window sketches Agathe. I second everything Patrick said and would like to add that the use of this particular pen has contributed to an already strong and dramatic style. Lovely.

• #96178 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

I love the cafe with the hanging lights echoed in the stools beneath, the composition is really engaging and the sharp graphic style really enhances the picture. Looking through windows is always so interesting, have you tried any looking in as well as looking out?

• #96179 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks Patricia! I think that pen was a good investment! Also it doesn’t seem to react with the greasy parts of the paper, so that’s a plus.

Brynteg, Thank you! No, I can’t remember ever doing a looking in, but I’ve done many looking out. Something to consider in future sketches! Windows in general seem to fascinate me.

• #96180 Score: 0

Dee
    Participant

I have a great fondness for “through the window” paintings and find yours charming!  The paper is part of the challenge and charm, for those who know the challenges.  I am learning to enjoy the control I can’t exercise – it makes watercolor painting more of partnership – like dancing.  Looking forward to seeing more from you and the pen!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.