Your Watercolour Paintings Two of my first paintings

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 4 days, 20 hours ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I thought I’d show you two of my first paintings, that are still some of my favourites. (Sorry about the bulky paper.) I think I started painting somewhere around mid February, or at least in the latter half of February, and these were done during that month. So they’re not the very first ones, but within the first week or two of painting. I remember feeling at this point that I could paint anything! I used the cheapest Canson paper and White Nights pans. However, I realised that I’d get bored very quickly by having this sort of realistic approach. But learning how to paint loose is a whole other thing entirely! So in many ways, it’s gone downhill since then. 😉 I am learning loads though, and I think that it is more likely that I’ll keep painting when I step away from my comfort zone and expand my horizon. Though it also means way more discarded paintings.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96471 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

How did you get so good so fast?

• #96474 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

My gracious, these don’t look like a beginner’s work! No wonder you felt you could paint anything! I really believe you could! 😀 These are really excellent! I love them both, the apples and onions look real and they almost look like oil paintings. I totally agree about painting loose; it’s not as easy as I thought it would be, but I think with practice we’ll get there. 😀

• #96482 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

@domino I did paint watercolor for a while when I was around 12 and then I painted a little with oils when I was 16-17. Now I am 36 though, so I had a bit of a break. 😉 But painting loose is a whole other story. Not only is it much harder to do, but people are generally way less impressed by the results! (At least my family. My son would say after every painting I did after these that “Meh, they look as if you painted them!”, meaning they didn’t look real enough.)

@lora Yeah, the oil look is because I laid the paint on thick. It wasn’t really intentional, but because of the paper which didn’t hold watercolor well, so I kept adding and adding to even out the strokes. But it takes a lot of paint! So not only was it wasteful, but it also sort of felt like cheating. 😉 Plus “reproducing” photos would pretty soon become boring. So I didn’t do many paintings like this before I moved on.

• #96483 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Oh, and just to be clear, that feeling of being able to paint anything lasted very short. I do not at all feel close to being able to paint anything. In fact there is very little I feel confident about painting anymore. 😉

• #96526 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

You should feel more confident, these are beautiful. Paint what makes you feel happy in a way that makes you feel happy. You have a real talent and do not worry what other people think, paint for yourself. I always enjoy looking at your paintings and am sure lots of the other painters on this site do too. 😊

• #96527 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

They are superb Agathe, you hit on a great subject you felt it and painted it and look at the result. It is accomplished work. We all peak and trough in our painting. Some days we can feel we can do anything other days painting the simplest thing can seem beyond us. Your too watercolours demonstrate you have a high natural ability which you need to learn to tap into at will. That’s the hard part.

Thanks for sharing your early work Agathe its beautiful.

Patrick

• #96528 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thank you both of you! 🙂

• #96530 Score: 1

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

These are wonderfully realistic still lifes and so well painted, Agathe! Great display of darks and light. Definitely something to be proud of and shows your innate talent. Beautiful!

• #96531 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

the apples and onions look real

Erm.. I see pomegranates and garlic.. I guess art really is in the eye of the beholder 😉

• #96532 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thank you Judy! And Domino, hehe, I didn’t even notice that. 😉 You are right, they are pomegranates and garlic. But whatever people see is fine!

• #96546 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

Pretty good for first 2 paintings:) I know they’re not really first but boy they look good! Very nicely painted and structurely excellent! I thought there was 2 photos.

• #97028 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

Wow!  They look so good.  They’d happily grace any kitchen wall.

• #97030 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

A Maze ing

Fabulous, i love them i really do.  I love the light refection from the onion upon the garlic.  Keep it up

Take time to look and make sure you see.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.