Your Watercolour Paintings Two color landscape

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tina Sei. 11 months ago.

• Author

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Today I found a card-sized watercolor from one of my art teachers. In her 80’s at the time, Marcella taught watercolors as part of the adult education classes offered at our village high school. She used no more than four colors–ultramarine blue, burnt sienna, alizarin crimson, and yellow ochre. With those, she created beautiful landscapes and florals–soft and loose. At the beginning of the class we would stand around a table as she demonstrated a small painting, which took about 20 min–then we would paint. Most of the time there was no sketch–or a very scant few lines or shapes.

That was a while ago and, feeling nostalgic, I painted this 20 min landscape, similar to the one she sent me–using only ultramarine blue and burnt sienna. About 5×7 on Strathmore 400 series 140 lb NOT.
    I think I would have achieved more light had I been able to lift some clouds in the sky. Should have grabbed the Arches instead.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #55132 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

A lovely little painting, Judy. What can equal the joy of creating something in such a short time.
    Joycd

• #55138 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Interesting exercise Judy this is a great way to learn more about colour mixing. I personally believe many beginners in watercolour have far too many colours in their first palette which only leads to confusion.

This video I posted on YouTube yesterday might be of some interest to you. I am using a split primary palette a warm and cool of each primary.

• #55162 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

I agree that too many colors are confusing and so I’m always looking to simplify my palette. Another thing I’m doing is using mostly (if not all) transparent colors. I watched the video you suggested and will definitely have a go at it. I do have some difficulty with using deep hues–seems to turn to mud very quickly. Hopefully, the limited palette will limit the mud 🙂

• #55143 Score: 0

jezzy
    Participant

Lovely coastal atmosphere. I can almost smell the sea!

• #55160 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

This is a lovely painting – a simplified palette stops all the fiddling and the result is really nice.

• #55225 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

This is a very pretty little painting. What a nice outcome of a nostalgic feeling.

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.