Your Watercolour Paintings Trying to get back to painting

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I haven’t been in here for a long time, but then I haven’t painted much either. I had been looking forward to doing lots of plein air this summer, but in the beginning of the summer it rained constantly and it was super cold. No chance getting out then. By the time we finally had some nice weather, it got so busy that I just gave up trying to paint at all.

These are two I made when it was still raining, so I’ve used free stock photos. While they’re not perfect, I was happy that I managed to keep them fairly loose (which is a challenge for me), and that I didn’t fuzz too much about the backgrounds. The sheep are a little overworked in my opinion, but then painting animals is not something I’m used to.

Now all that remains is working up the courage to get started again!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95144 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi, Agathe, it’s great to see you back on PW, as always your paintings are beautiful, the Cockerell painting is superb. What an awesome use of red! the realistic way you have caught the birds eye and suggested the feathers and folds of the skin are excellent  Two lovely paintings you should be very pleased indeed.  Thanks for taking the time to post your work again.

Patrick

• #95155 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks so much, Patrick! I feel I am finally able to focus more on painting again and look forward to spending more time in here.

• #95156 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Agathe, your paintings are wonderful! I love that rich red color! If I’m wrong I apologize in advance, but I love how it looks like it’s night time in the sheep painting and how it looks like maybe the light is provided by a full moon. That would be very difficult to achieve I would think. It’s beautiful!

I’ve only been painting since May and joined here probably a couple of months ago. Keep painting and posting!! 🙂

• #95161 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thank you, Lora! The effect of it being night time is probably mostly because it is overworked. 😉 I fiddled with the sheep, which made them dark, and the background was done on a whim. But we can pretend it was on purpose. 🙂

I also started painting sometime this year, but have had a bit of a break for a while. Glad to be back and nice to see new faces in here! 🙂

• #95162 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow I would never have guessed you were fairly new at painting! You rock! 🙂  Yes we’ll pretend you did night time on purpose 🙂 It turned out to be happy accident! Love when that happens!

Glad you’re back even though I didn’t know you before. We just gotta be patient as Patrick reorganizes/revamps the website. 🙂 It’s coming along. 🙂

I hope to post a few paintings I did when I first started, but wasn’t sure about copyright regarding the photos I used from online so I posted that question in the Anything Goes part.

Look forward to seeing more from you!

• #95166 Score: 0

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

Great idea to get some more painting done, i’ve been a bit slow to getting outside and paint myself – for no good reason 🙂

Both paintings look really great.

• #95178 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

Excellent work, Agathe! Especially the chicken/cockerel (had to look that one up!) Welcome back 🙂

• #95245 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Fantastic cockerel/rooster, Agathe!  Absolutely gorgeous what reds did you use? I agree with Patrick that the folds of the skin and feathers are top notch.  I love the red color, it is so intense and clear. Was there a first wash and then highlighted with the same pigment with a more intense value or is it too different reds? Looking for to seeing more of your work! The sheep are very nice also, I’m just enamored with the fowl. 🙂

• #95259 Score: 1

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks everyone!

K8, I don’t remember exactly, so this is my best guess. But I think I may have first painted with pyrrol scarlet (DS) to get the brightness of it, and then painted over with quinacridone red (DS) mixed with some french ultramarine (DS) to deepen and darken the color. I’m not sure I have found my favourite red yet. I have a couple of more I want to try in the future. It was a fun one to paint and I actually made two different ones. Easy enough for me who struggle to paint loose and not add too many details. I had hoped to do the sheep as effortlessly, but it was harder to give the impression of wool without ending up overworking it. 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Agathe.
  • #95392 Score: 0

Dee
    Participant

I hear ya on the rain…  I was hoping it would drown the gnats but I think it only made them more hungry.  No plein air happening here either.

Beautiful cockerill head.  Just enough detail to make my brain instantly know the texture, contours and energy of the critter!

I like the sheep picture, and would carry out the fleeces a little more toward the edges.  The halo effect would require stronger backlighting, I think, but as you have it, the texture of the wool is really quite good, but a little too much white on the tips, especially on the ewe.

I have an art friend who likes to watch me paint and yells “stop!!!”  when I begin to overwork.  LOL.  It is very helpful, because I can get into a zone of “a little more, a little more, a little more”.  Especially with washes…

Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

dee

• #95460 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

I thought rooster was a photo. Wow. So rich red color and form is painting skillfully. Nice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.