Your Watercolour Paintings Tresco Island, Isles of Scilly, Cornwall

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

This is one of mine from early June, so I had only been painting a couple of weeks; a brand new beginner! It’s not perfect and as I wasn’t experienced enough to simplify reference photos, I stuck to the script so to speak. I’m getting better at this now. I messed up in the foreground no the right and did my best to cover it up. LOL

Patrick had mentioned the Isles of Scilly and since I love all the things UK, I had to look up photos from there. Beautiful islands! I used a photo from Shutterstock for this one. It’s hard to get the photo to show the true colors, etc. but this is as close as I can get it. I didn’t think I could draw or paint at all, past attempts as a kid and again as a teen were a flop, but here I am doing it somehow! If I can, anyone can!!!! So take courage and paint!!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95180 Score: 1

JudyR
    Participant
    40 pts

Lovely painting, Lora! The perspective is great. The sky is beautiful. Nice color washes on the roof of the closest cottage as well as well-placed shadows. To contrast with the well-drawn but hard lines of the buildings, I would try in the future to keep the foliage as soft and loose as possible–if that’s the look you want, of course. 🙂 I know when I started using watercolors, I had just gone off acrylics and tended to paint very tight and detailed. It took a while to loosen up.

• #95182 Score: 1

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

Two weeks in, thats pretty amazing, you could have pulled off saying that was after a year painting, and it would still be a good one 🙂

Looks like you have a really good eye for perspective and form. One of the things I have struggled with is getting the darks dark enough, you might be missing a bit in the greens, but on the houses they’re great.

• #95185 Score: 2

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

You have talent Lora, you’ve only been painting such a short time, it took me years of pawing through books to get to that standard. (If I am that standard, possibly on a good day!)

Tresco is a place I used to visit often while living on St Martins, opposing island to Tresco. It’s a beautiful manicured Island, timeless and magical I miss it a lot.

Your painting looks fresh and effortless, controlled, clean colours, excellent drawing skills demonstrated. It;s all be said above by other members. Beautiful work 🙂

Patrick

• #95195 Score: 1

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I think this is lovely! I especially love how you’ve done the buildings. Buildings can be a bit tricky in my experience, but it looks like you have a natural knack for it. The sky looks great too! I tend to mess that up. 😉

• #95204 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow, thanks everyone! I have no natural talent; I had to concentrate and work very hard and totally copy the photo, but it’s becoming a little easier for me in the couple of months since I painted this.

Casper, thanks for the kind words! It really may have been 3 or 4 weeks in. LOL

Casper and Judy are right, I do need more darks in the foliage, not just in the front right where it’s dark and kinda messy (where I tried to cover a mistake). And could’ve been more loose. I was too focused on copying the photo; I still struggle with making a picture my own. Yesterday, I couldn’t even complete the “far distant shore” painting..I messed up on the foliage and overcorrected, and had too much trouble with the vague distant line of buildings, trees, etc. So I was discouraged. But I sure enjoyed seeing everyone else’s beautiful versions! 🙂

Judy, it’s encouraging for me to know you used to paint tight at first with watercolors; I would never know it now! So I know there’s hope for me! 🙂

Patrick, you are definitely above that standard!! I love your style. 🙂 And I’m so jealous of anyone who has ever lived on an island! LOL

Agathe, thanks so much! I like doing buildings, sometimes I can’t do them. I’m a hit or miss painter! I think the key with the sky might be to keep it simple as Patrick does in a lot of his paintings. Sometimes mine are messed up, too, even when keeping it simple. 😉

• #95207 Score: 1

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

I think you have a lot of talent Lora I have personally never seen anyone paint like that after 5 weeks.

Your right, Keep it simple! that is my motto in watercolor painting.

Patrick

• #95246 Score: 2

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Yes, Lora, you do have an amazing gift. My only suggestion would to paint is often as you can… you will improve leaps and bounds from where you are beginning. It is extraordinary. And there is a plus side for us as well… we get to see more of your work.:-)

• #95382 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks so much, Patrick and K8, for the encouraging words. 🙂  K8, I was thinking the same thing the other day…that painting as often possible is key to the learning process. This week has been crazy busy; hoping to have more time next week to paint. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.