Your Watercolour Paintings Sunflower Field on Watercolour Paper

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JudyR 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

I’ve painted this twice since doing it in my Moleskine and although it’s been a learning experience, I just could’t get the yellow right in the big field. So that’s it, I’m done with this one. On to the next !

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96424 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Oh, but this is so bright and cheerful! I really like how it looks like there’s a whole field of sunflowers that are bathing in the sunlight. Love how you’ve defined the front flowers. The sky is really nice. I’ve never been able to make soft fluffy clouds like yours. And also the row of trees and buildings in the background is really nicely done. Yellow is a very tricky color, I also struggle with getting it right. However, although I’m not sure what you strived for here, I can’t see why you shouldn’t be very pleased with this one!

What sketchbook is this? It seems to do wet on wet well. I can’t make clouds like that in Moleskine at least! I’d also be interested to know what color you used for the dark parts of the clouds. It works really well.

• #96426 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Thanks Agathe. The one before this I did in my Moleskine and it’s posted here. This one I did on Fabriano Artistico Cold Press 100% cotton. I want to start using walercolour paper more consistently, using my watercolour sketchbooks for plein air, in the car painting and first attempts at painting from a photograph I’ve taken.

The sky colours were cerulean blue chromium by Daniel Smith and Transparent Pyrrol Orange also by Daniel Smith. The grey in the clouds was a mix of those two colours.

My goals for this painting were to create a satisfying and interesting sky, use only the colours I’d mixed up so that I used no convenience colours for the greens but mixed them all and to keep it loose and hold the feeling of a sunny, warm day that makes you smile.

Oh, and the sky I painted wet in wet to avoid hard edges in the clouds.

Hope that is useful.

• #96436 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

Thank you, Patricia, that was really helpful! I thought it was a sketchbook due to the spiral binding. But I guess, bound like that, you could almost use it as a sketchbook to of sorts! I also want to paint more on cotton paper as I paint so much in my sketchbooks that I struggle a bit more with the better paper. It would probably be smart to get a feel for how it works, especially in terms of how long it keeps wet and stuff like that, in order to avoid those little accidents I tend to have. 😉

• #96448 Score: 0

Patricia L
      Participant
      6 pts

Sorry Agathe, I should have been more clear about my watercolour ‘sketchbook’. I have made 2 watercolour sketchbook, one that is sewn and is 6×9 in. The other is this one that you see in the photo. I took a block of Fabriano Artistico  100% cotton Cold press 140 lbs and removed each sheet, then I used a piece of acid free cover material and took the whole thing to a local stationery shop where they bound it for me for just a few dollars. I wanted to be able to have a field watercolour sketchbook that was larger. This one is 9×12 in. Of course it immediately became too precious to use and it’s only this month that I’ve taken it on. It’s a great way to work on watercolour paper and not have to deal with having lots of loose paintings, plus it lets me keep track of progression.

• #96434 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Patricia, this is beautiful! I agree with everything Agathe said! I’m so jealous of your clouds. Thanks for sharing what colors used. I just got indanthrone blue from Daniel Smith and I love it and will be buying more DS colors little by little. 😀

• #96439 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

This is just lovely Patricia, i dont think it matters which yellows you use in a scene like this as long as you can keep them fresh as you have done.  It really makes a difference working on quality paper after first testing out the scene in your sketchbook. You should be pleased with this successful painting 🙂

• #96449 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Thanks so much Annette. I’m actually happy with the clouds and really enjoyed using watercolour paper.

• #96496 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Delightful Patrica. The fields and the sky are well painted. You have a nice perspective going on in the sky which helps squeeze the viewers eye down to the horizon. Strong colors and lovely loose brushwork. For me it’s a total success.

Patrick

• #96499 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Thanks Patrick. The bit you said about the perspective in the sky is very useful information for me. Have a great day!

Patricia

• #96522 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

This is wonderfully sunny and happy, I love your sky too and like the fact that you have stuck with your subject to learn and experiment, it is a really lovely painting.

• #96578 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

I think this is a lovely painting, Patricia! The sky is beautiful, but what caught my eye were the vivid sunflowers in the foreground–just love them! Not to worry about the yellow field. A viewer would undoubtedly be drawn to the lovely sky, the nice mix of light and dark greens at the horizon and the wonderful flowers that I think are the stars of the show.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.