Your Watercolour Paintings Storm Brewing

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Andy Peters 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Andy Peters
    Participant

Hi, This went terribly wrong, especially with the Sky that now looks a right mess. But I decided to show it anyway and get some advice and to learn new things.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #55042 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

You did good.. Switching to watercolor from acrylics is always interesting and fun..

The wet technique for the sky is a new concept to oil and acrylic painters. I’ve been painting watercolor for a while and I still don’t understand it. I do know that 100% cotton paper for consistency is what I would recommend.

Have you done watercolor before?

• #55046 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

I think the sky is fine. Maybe lose some of the hard edges in the cloud and add some dark at the base of each cloud.
    Your distant hills are not too distinguishable from the sea colour. You need a crisper horizon line separating the sea from both hills and sky.

I like the way you do your rocks. Do you use the credit card method?

Mark

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #55048 Score: 0

Andy Peters
    Participant

Hi Robert, Thanks, Yes I started with Watercolour about 12 to 15 years ago, and gave up, and went to Pen and Ink and then Acrylics, now I’ve drifted back to it with more determination to master the Wet in Wet and looseness of Watercolour, I find it very difficult to be loose, and light and still have a decent Painting at the end. MY BIN IS FULL hahah.

Hi Mark, Yes I use a Credit Card, (Not Northern Rock), haha, and I see what yu mean about the distant hills, I wanted a defined Cloud, but it hasn’t worked, it needs re working,

Thanks for your input Guys.

• #55051 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

Patrick has a good tutorial on painting loose rain clouds.

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #55055 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Hi Robert, Thanks, Yes I started with Watercolour about 12 to 15 years ago, and gave up, and went to Pen and Ink and then Acrylics, now I’ve drifted back to it with more determination to master the Wet in Wet and looseness of Watercolour, I find it very difficult to be loose, and light and still have a decent Painting at the end. MY BIN IS FULL hahah.

Hi Mark, Yes I use a Credit Card, (Not Northern Rock), haha, and I see what yu mean about the distant hills, I wanted a defined Cloud, but it hasn’t worked, it needs re working,

Thanks for your input Guys.

If you want loose… paint with a big brush on HP paper.. Let that water flow! Enjoy!

• #55062 Score: 0

Wolfgang Fuchs
    Participant
    1 pt

i think the sky is ok andy, maybe you can soften the eges more but i will not do that because it looks allready good and you can destroy more by reapair …..
    greetings wolfgang

• #55095 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

This is a lovely composition and I agree with all of Mark’s excellent comments. The boats and the rocks are wonderful.

• #55102 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

Another lovely boat painting.
    Joyce

• #55104 Score: 0

jezzy
    Participant

Nice composition and lovely colours. I really like the strength of colour and contrast in the rocks.. The boats are beautiful and for me the only thing lacking is that they are not emphasized enough. I think your sky works well and that the whole painting is very harmonious and pleasing.

• #55109 Score: 0

Andy Peters
    Participant

Thanks Guys and Galls, I will have another look at it after the weekend and certainly loose the hard cloud if I can, and define the distant land a bit better.

Your all such a supportive crown, thanks.
    Andy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.