Your Watercolour Paintings Seranda’s Garden and Sunflower

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  mrchirps 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Inspired by Patrick’s recent floral tutorial, I painted these on hot press 140 lb. Arches.  Size 5-1/2” x 4-1/2” to be attached to stock watercolor cards and given to two members of our neighborhood art group who are celebrating their birthdays tomorrow.

I haven’t painted in a long time and it shows.  Seranda’s Garden started out looking okay but then I started fiddling.  I know I needed to use more darks but was timid to make more of a mess.  The sunflower was done quickly.  It looked bland, so I decided to add the blue background to make it stand out.   My hand was shaking.

The recent art being submitted by new and long term members is very impressive.  I look forward to seeing more from such talented people.

By the way, I am the proud owner of Patrick’s floral which I purchased from eBay.  I’ll post it after it is framed.  Check out his paintings on eBay, they are very reasonably priced, and help support his generous teaching,5B304399-CD9B-4A56-8381-6FBC53143EE8
    2FED80E1-6CA6-4B50-B25D-195017F2D31E

Carol

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96733 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

These are both lovely paintings and will make beautiful cards! So glad you shared these. 🙂

• #96739 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

These are both really beautiful! I love all the colors, too. 😀

• #96741 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you Judy and Lora.  I appreciate the compliments from two very talented artists.

• #96747 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi Carol great to see a couple of your paintings. Both are fresh, lively and full of colour. I love the power of blue against yellow and your sunflower demonstrates this perfectly. You have created a lovely range of greens in your first painting, subtly suggesting some leaf shapes without going over the top. Both are lovely works thanks for sharing 🙂  I am pleased you were happy with your painting and I look forward to seeing it framed up.  Thanks again.

Patrick

• #96765 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Hi Patrick, many thanks for your positive comments.  It felt good to be painting again. The small ones reminded me of when we did the 15 minute challenges which is how I first was introduced to PW.  I was less intimidated back then because I didn’t have much time to think and procrastinate.   It was fun.  Maybe the newcomers would like to give it a try,   Enjoy painting. Carol

• #96775 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

Your sunflower is really striking, and I think hand painted cards are very special. I am sure the recipients of these will treasure them.

• #96792 Score: 0

Very pretty pictures, both of them. I particularly love the natural, vibrant look of the garden flowers. I notice how you have done the white flowers by negatively painting them. That is something I struggle with and would appreciate some tips from Patrick on how to do it, especially with foliage.

Patricia Claire

• #96803 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

These are lovely! Small paintings-good idea especially as warm ups. Think I’ll try that!

• #96815 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you brynteg, Patricia Claire and PCampbell for your comments.   When you run out of wall space these little paintings can be framed and placed on a shelf or table.

I’m attaching two framed cards which Patrick painted.  Hope they come through for you to see.  Hope you will try a miniature.

Thanks again, Carol

Attachments:
  • #96817 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Card 2

Attachments:
  • #96833 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

Your blues in your paintings were stunning.  They pulled my interest in.  Nicely done.

• #96836 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you, Howard.  Usually I use a lot of purple, but I love blue as well.  Glad you were attracted to the color.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.