This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JudyR 4 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

Inspired by Howard’s reference photo, I decided to give this one a go. I normally wouldn’t choose to paint a composition that–the only way I can describe it is–dense. I’m sure the photo is not chopped and shopped, but it almost looks like each layer is pasted against the next. In any case, I wanted to see if I could do it justice with a loose style. Hard to do when your painting rock-hard mountains. 🙂 I usually try to use transparent paints, but this was done with my travel kit which contains some designer cakes/colors that came with the case. So not sure about the transparency of all the colors I used.

5 x 7 Arches 140 NOT

• This topic was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Patrick.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95201 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Very interesting you have just posted this one Judy.  I’m currently uploading a tutorial which I completed today of the exact same image. Howard was having some difficulty and it was to complicated to explain so making a video seemed like an obvious answer.

You have kep yours very loose and you have managed to retain the fresh colors, tree deffinition etc I’ts a lovely painting Judy. On the face of it it seems simple but there is quite a lot of different things going on in your picture.

I wasn’t able to include the ref pic within the video as I’m not sure about it’s source if it is copywritten I think its pushing it a bit to embed in a video.

Lovely painting Judy thanks for posting, hope others give it ago. Mine will be online here, Patreon and youtube this evenig.

Patrick

• #95210 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      41 pts

Thanks, Patrick. I look forward to your video. This is the type of composition where you can’t just lay intense, saturated pigment and expect any translucency or luminosity. So drying between layers is important–at least it is for me. On the other hand, after the painting is dry, I like to moisten areas with water and then dab in a little “neat” pigment of one or two colors and let it do its thing 🙂 I can get a great organic look to the foliage with that technique–and it’s fun!

• #95205 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Judy, I think you’ve succeeded in making a “dense” picture look more loose. It’s really pretty, and you’re so good at foliage of any kind. The colors are nice, too. 🙂

• #95211 Score: 1

JudyR
      Participant
      41 pts

Thanks, Lora! I described a technique I use for foliage in my reply to Patrick. Also, since painting one or two of Patrick’s landscapes where he starts with the lightest color–usually a yellow and then adds medium and dark tones, I employ that process as well. Important to leave a bit of white too if you can.

• #95383 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

You’re welcome, Judy 🙂 Your re-wet, then dab in technique sounds like a good one! I like to start with light itcolors, too. My mom made sure to explain how important that was when I first started this watercolor adventure. Some days foliage just comes naturally to me, then sometimes it just looks like a right mess. LOL

• #95386 Score: 1

JudyR
      Participant
      41 pts

I have those days, too, Lora. More than I’d like to count!

• #95385 Score: 3

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

Judy, I knew your painting of this mountain scene would be beautiful. It is. It is wonderful.

Yours and Patrick’s painting gives me courage and great examples in order to give this a go, again.

• #95387 Score: 1

JudyR
      Participant
      41 pts

Thanks for the compliment, Howard! You’ll learn a lot from Patrick’s video, lots of painting tips and techniques.

• #95446 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Lovely, Judy. I especially like the distant mountains.

Paula

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.