Your Watercolour Paintings Same view, different paper

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 1 week ago.

• Author

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

Last time I painted this view using hot pressed paper, this time it is Bockingford cold pressed The main difference I noticed was you get more time to flood new colours into the wash using the cold pressed paper. I experimented with the green yellow as a bright spot in the landscape and a hint in the reflection. I had some unfortunate bleeds from the top of the mountains because I was impatient and put the second wash on before the first had dried. Anyway it was a fun learning experience!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96331 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    8 pts

I think this is wonderful and something I personally should venture more into! The reflections are very well done, yet look very loose and like they just naturally happened. I also think the sky is beautiful, and a perfect balance between lights and darks throughout the painting. The splash of bright green gives the painting life and makes it extra special.

• #96344 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    12 pts

Your experience in trying new paper will be helpful to me.

I am about to venture into painting a landscape with hot press watercolour paper.  It has been a while since I painted on hot press paper.  That was back when I started painting over a year ago.  Then I was painting botanical flowers.  A totally different method of painting from what I am trying to do now in landscapes.  The instructor I was following then was using very light washes initially with all of her paintings.  It was a very incremental process.  A very unique method, I believe, from what most watercolour artists use in their paintings. What am I saying?  I really haven’t taken any other botanical painting course.  Maybe all botanical watercolour artists approach botanical paintings in this manner.  What I saw on the Internet is that many flower artists employ a very loose style with their art. I was amazed at the beauty of their art and enjoyed what they could paint.  Then I learned it is not as easy as it seemed.

• #96348 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

I like this version as well. I especially like the sky.

• #96357 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Beautiful calming watercolor painting. Using colour wisely to create depth. Sky and reflections are gorgeous. Lovely piece of work.

Patrick

• #96366 Score: 0

Bob Hussey
    Participant
    2 pts

I love this! Particularly the way you used color to give perspective to the landscape. And your reflections are great and your sky is really excellent.

• #96390 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I love everything about this!! I love the effects you’ve ended up with, even the bleeding, I think it looks great here in this painting. 😀 And the colors all look great together.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.