Your Watercolour Paintings Sailing Home to Fowey

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 1 week ago.

• Author

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi All.  This is a bit of a departure from comfort for me.   I love painting boats but usually try and avoid too much in the way of buildings so Fowey, where the buildings line the hillside from the shoreline was a bit of a challenge.

It’s Windsor and Newton Artist Quality Watercolours on Langton 140lb NOT.

I’ll attach my reference photo so if anyone else wants to have a go at it, please feel free to do so.

Joy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97077 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Joy,

You have done well with a very complicated scene.  This is a charming painting!  One suggestion: could you add some darker values in the shadows? A dark contrast usually makes the light really shine.

Paula

• #97078 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

I agree, Paula.  I think I’ve been far too tentative with the shadows.   I got a bit lost with so many buildings crowded in on each other.   Also the main boat in the front is too close in tonal value to the buildings. I did wonder about adding pen and ink detail at least to the boat.   Perhaps I’ll pluck up courage to do so.

Thanks for looking and taking time to critique.

Joy

• #97121 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I also think you’ve done a great job with such a busy scene. 😀

• #97145 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

Thanks for your comments, Lora.

Well, with my heart in my mouth, I took my courage in both hands and considerably deepened the shadows.  I think it has given me more depth in the buildings.    I hope you think it was a success

Joy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97221 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow, what a difference!! Most excellent..it just comes to life now! It is scary to go darker, but what a difference it can make bringing out the light!! 😀 Wonderful job, Joy!

• #97232 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

Thanks Lora.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.