Your Watercolour Paintings Sailing Boats after Patrick

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

Well here goes. My first go at one of Patrick’s tutorials and enjoyed it very much though I can’t use my brush like Patrick, yet 😜

Im sure in time I will get the feel for his style I like so much.

Iwatched this through then after drawing just did my own thing, maybe I should have followed along.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96793 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

Very nice, Jim. You paint a lovely sky–and skies are not easy. Your boats are well drawn. Nice variation and blending of colors in the foreground grasses and path. I think you could go a lot darker with your shadows under the boats– it’s something we all hesitate to do but can add depth to a composition and make all the colors pop.

• #96797 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

Thanks Judy, I was watching another video today of Patrick’s and when he put some darks in I was amazed.

I also realise all my picture is about the same tone, my wife told me that, I must take more notice in my future efforts.

• #96800 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    6 pts

The sky is great. I have to agree with Judy that sky isn’t easy subject to paint and you got it perfect not only in this painting. Play with lighter values and gradually build your darkest values. It’ll add more depth to your painting. Overall it’s drawn right. Just some highlights and darks would improve your painting immensely. Keep painting!

• #96811 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

thanks Alex for your comments.

• #96812 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Hi Jim,

Often I have the experience of  being scared to put in dark shadows after working hard on a painting. If I leave them out, the painting is blah. But when I do put them in, the painting seems to come to life with light! Even knowing this, it’s still hard to convince myself to to do it. I always wonder if the shadows will wreck everything. By the way, I think your shadow on the blue boat cover is well done.

Paula

• #96813 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

thanks Paula, I feel the same way I dare not put dark brush to paper for fear of ruining in.

I am going to have a play at times so may not post all my results because I have a lot to work on, but realize to improve not everything I produce will be a success.

jim

• #96819 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Those that do nothing make no mistakes.

At the end of the day its just a sheet of paper.

Go for it and enjoy the path it takes.

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #96861 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Good advice from all the above. A good tip is to make a thumbnail sketch in pencil on scrap paper and get in all your darks and lights then you can match your tones with colour on your watercolour paper

• #96863 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

Thanks @brad @annette for your comments

Jim

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Jim.
  • #96882 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Superb Jim. Your painting has a lovely clarity to it. No muddy colours to be seen.  The boats are well drawn and painted. You have created a lovely soft light which makes your boat glow. It really is a splendid painting Jim.

Patrick

• #96894 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

Thanks Patrick, I appreciate all you do for us here.

Jim

• #96980 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

So glad you’re painting and posting, Jim! You’ve done a wonderful job with this scene. Boats are difficult subjects. Keep painting! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.