Your Watercolour Paintings Rio Grande gorge study

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

AlexK
    Participant
    9 pts

I keep dreaming to paint 1/2 imperial some of my paintings I’ve painted earlier. This one would be first one on the list. Never can find enough time to even start it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97746 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Yes, the bigger format would help to capture the immensity of the scene.  I have not yet tried a large format with watercolor.  I worry that everything would dry before I had a chance to finish working on it.  I used to paint in oils where a large format isn’t so much of a problem. I hope you will find the time to attempt this scene on a larger scale.

• #97750 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    19 pts

That Dark has really added depth to the canyon. Great painting

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #97763 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      9 pts

Thanks Brad. Unpack your things and join in!

• #97752 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Wonderful painting and I can see why you would want to paint it again. You really have a gift painting these Desert scenes. You must have some great paintings hanging on your walls.

• #97761 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      9 pts

Thanks!  You know, ever since i started painting watercolor I wanted to paint American southwest. Very first day it seemed hardest thing ever to me. Growing up in Ukraine and seeing local scenery where everything is free didn’t help. I struggle to this day with simplification and loosing details. It’s a process.

• #97754 Score: 0

RandyLouise
    Participant
    2 pts

I LOVE painting in larger formats. I find them easier, less cramped. It really allows you to stretch out, loosen up, and get everything in that’s before your eyes. It does require a little more planning. But, I highly recommend it.

If you want to keep it wet, a mister is handy. I’ve seen a method recently that I am going to try, working on a plexiglass surface, soaking your paper and laying it on plexiglass, the paper kinda sucks down to the surface so that it doesn’t buckle, and you can easily take up your work and wipe down the surface to continue working. Also the plexiglass is not absorbent, so your paper stays wet longer.

http://mypaintedmemories.wordpress.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/yourwatercolormemory

• #97762 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      9 pts

Thanks for good advice about plexiglassand mister. I would definitely need something to help with quick drying time. Humidity is 5% is common thing here.

• #97757 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Your paintings keep getting better, Great choice of colors and values.  I can’t imagine painting in large formats and just divided 10 full sheets into quarters as I know my comfort size is 11″ x 17″ more or less.

• #97760 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      9 pts

Thanks David. 11X17 sounds pretty large to me I’m comfortable only up to 8×12 or so.

• #97758 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    9 pts

Thank you everyone for encouraging me. I will keep you guys posted when I paint anything decent on bigger sheet. I’ve worked just a little bit on this little sketch. Just added sky reflection color to the water and shaped up few sage bushes.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.