This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 1 week ago.

• Author

Howard W
    Participant
    12 pts

I live near “red rock” country and enjoy visiting these parks and canyons. The Internet site where I found this reference image did not name the original artist. My version of this painting differs some from the original. I am not all that happy with this painting, but I obviously decided to go ahead and post it here. I must have had too much water in the brush when I attempted to paint the reflective water in this creek. I worked hard to restore it to an acceptable state. I settled for what I could get.  This landscape was painted on Arches 300 lb cold press paper, but that may be wrong. This paper reacted differently from what I expected for Arches 300-pound paper.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96293 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

This looks like a difficult subject to paint, but I think this is great! I can’t tell where you went wrong with the creek. 😀 The colors are really nice, too. Glad you posted this as we all see something different. 😀

• #96301 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    13 pts

Its interesting that you used 300 lb paper.  I loved the way Lora’s cottage turned out so thought I would try it.  I grabbed a block and didn’t realize it was rough paper.  I started the painting and the paint just stuck to the paper.  Wouldn’t move at all despite being rewet.  I used the backside for another painting which I’ll post in a few minutes.

Are you near Sedona or is there another Red Rock area that I need to visit?  Earlier this year I was in Southern Arizona.  It was quite nice but the geology is not nearly as spectacular as the north.

• #96308 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Howard I like the row of aspen against the red rock. Tough subject!

• #96323 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

Howard, I love the reds and warm colours in you painting, and that zingy strip of yellow makes it really interesting.

• #96327 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Love the way you play with colour Howard. This is dramatic and colorful. Not an obvious scene to paint although I’m pleased you did. It gives me some ideas. Thank you!

Patrick

• #96341 Score: 1

Howard W
    Participant
    12 pts

I am surprised at the number of nice comments.  Thank you.

I am not certain where these cliffs are actually located. The reference painting I used didn’t state its location, but it looks like Arches National Park to me. Zions, maybe. It could be in Arizona, but this type of landscape covers most of southern Utah from Capitol Reef National Park, west to Canyonlands and Arches and then south through Bryce, Zions and into Arizona’s Grand Canyon and even further south as you stated David into the Sedona area of northern Arizona.  Also, the same scenery is available in the Four Corners Area that includes Colorado’s Mesa Verde with the Pueblo cliff dwellings and down into Monument Valley that includes the Navajo and Hopi Indian Reservations. These red rock areas encompass huge expanse amounts of beautiful dry desert areas.

As a friend from Dallas said after her visit to the Grand Canyon: “a lot of red dirt”. It certainly isn’t the Blue Ridge Mountains and valleys of Virginia where the only the dirt you see is turned over by the farmer’s plough.

Roland Lee, a watercolour artist who I believe lives near Zions National Park paints these red rock areas beautifully. I noticed he is referenced somewhere on this site. Also, I saw that he released a new painting video within the past week. I am studying his techniques in that video for another desert fall coloured scene I have sketched out on smooth surface hot press paper as Patrick suggested I should try. Roland’s palette has a lot of unique red colours. I am going to try to get by on what I currently have on hand. My hopes are high.

My son Scott will be arriving tonight for a long weekend visit. I will be busy with him for the next few days. Thus, it may take me a while before I complete this new painting and another scene I have started, but I’ll be back.

Thank you all for your kind words that encourage me.

• #96381 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Love that you mention Blue Ridge mountains as our little city is smack dab in those mountains in Virginia and when I saw your painting I thought, now that is like nothing I’ve ever seen around here! You read my mind lol! 😀 Have a great visit with your son. 😀 And looking forward to seeing your next painting!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.