Your Watercolour Paintings Quick sketch of Canyonlands landscape

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Paula 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

Did a quick sketch on 1/8 imperial chunk of paper.

It took as long as my sons nap lasted. He says when it’s finished. So he contributed to keep it somewhat fresh and not too overworked. I think I should of stopped little bit earlier. Mistakes are made and hopefully will improve in next painting. Testing new earth pigment – raw umber. Dark formations are combination of it and ultramarine blue. Really like it. Not very active wet in wet. Gives cool texture.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97692 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Great feeling of depth in this one.  I like the dark you get from that combination.  What do you use for your greens?

• #97693 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Hi Paula. My greens are Prussian blue and Indian yellow (M GrahamPY110)  this combination makes very nice, natural looking  green that works for juniper trees and pines. And for shady sides of trees  I use Prussian blue  and one of earths pigments  red ocher or burnt umber, mix with mars brown gives pretty nice cleen dark spruce color. For sunny side I use Prussian and azo yellow or Hansa yellow medium. I feel i could paint better I had longer time frame to paint and prep my mixes ahead of time. In reality things are different. I’m still in  learning stage and these quick sketches help me figure how I want to paint in the future. It’s a best hobby I ever had.

• #97696 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Painting has a nice intense desert heat and light about it. Great to hear you and Paula talk about your mixes. Nicely done, Alex and son! 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  K8.
    • #97699 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Thanks! My son is helping me to paint by taking naps:) and I’m getting better in Crayons too!

• #97698 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Thanks, Alex. I’ll give your combinations a try.  I remember trying to get something done during my son’s nap–impossible because he didn’t sleep much!  Anyway, he’s 41 now, and I’m retired, so I have lots of time.  There are some real benefits to getting older!  I agree about painting with watercolor; it’s a great hobby. Even when I’m not actually painting, I’m thinking about it.  This spring I’m going to three National Parks in Utah and Arizona, and I’m planing to come back with lots of photo references for future paintings. Two of my favorite things–hiking and painting!

It seems like we’re the last two willing to post paintings on this site.  I enjoy seeing your work, so I hope you will continue posting.

• #97700 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Hi Paula. Thanks for warm words! I enjoy seeing your paintings too! If you decide to come to Santa Fe I’d be happy to say hi in person.

• #97702 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

We’re not going to NM this time.  You’re lucky to live there.  It’s a beautiful place with a great art scene.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.