Your Watercolour Paintings Pumpkin Field along County Road 27

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia L 3 months ago.

• Author

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

This is from a photo I took a few days ago. It’s in a Hahnemuhle sketchbook, 5 1/2 x 8. I was trying to keep it loose but really lost it with the expanses of grasses and the front greenery.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96365 Score: 0

Bob Hussey
    Participant
    2 pts

I think this is really well done! Great feeling of depth as well as lots of little details to keep me looking. The only thing I might change is the background trees right in the middle. Because they are quite dark they kind of push forward a bit and keep grabbing the eye. Maybe if you wet them a bit and dabbed with a tissue they would lighten up and recede back a bit. (Apologies if that comment was presumptuous.)

Bob

• #96378 Score: 0

Patricia L
      Participant
      6 pts

Thanks for your suggestion Bob. I saw that the trees were pulling focus and argued with myself about trying to lighten them since this is just sketchbook paper. I consoled myself with the thought that they are fir trees. I’ll let it sit for a few days then decide.

Thanks for your compliment, by the way.

• #96387 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Lovely sketch for your sketchbook. 😀 I think it’s pretty loose and I love the colors, too!

• #96414 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

I really like your lively sketch, and  with those orange colours you are reminding me that we are nearly into autumn now. I find the pumpkin field really interesting as we have no such thing in Wales where I live, and I assume it must be a feature,of the landscape where you live. Subject matter reflecting your life and locality is very engaging, so I hope to see more.

• #96428 Score: 0

Patricia L
      Participant
      6 pts

Thanks Brynteg. I live in Ontario Canada and yes, pumpkins are a fall feature! Our Thanksgiving Day is in early October each year and homemade pumpkin pie is a much anticipated dessert, as are pumpkin squares, spicy pumpkin soup on a cold day and so on. The pumpkins are also used as part of the harvest decorations people put in the front yards, along with the long stalks of sunflowers weighted down by a head full of sunflower seeds.

I’m glad you like my sketch.

• #96416 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I think this is very nice! To me the foreground looks good too. I also don’t mind the darkness of the trees in the background. At least they didn’t seem to come forward to my eyes. 😉 I think it is a fun scene that is well painted, and I always love the double format. I’ve only ventured into that once! How do you like your  Hahnemuhle sketchbook? I want to try several different kinds, preferably ones that don’t feel too precious but still are good painting in. I’m really not becoming very good friends with my Moleskine, although I do use it quite a lot.

• #96429 Score: 0

Patricia L
      Participant
      6 pts

Thanks Agathe. I have been enjoying the Hahnemuhle and although it’s a fabulously made sketchbook with paper that I quite like, at first it felt precious and I kept retreating to my Stillman and Birn Alpha. It’s not so precious to me anymore since I’m used to it, but I have to say that I really like my Moleskine. There is just something about it.

You should be able to get the Hahnemule at a reasonable price – less expensive here in Canada – since they are made in Germany and market quite consistently in Europe.

• #96444 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

This is a lovely lively sketch, love the pumpkins and also like how you painted over 2 pages creating a panoramic view.

• #96450 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Thanks Annette. I really love the panorama format. It feels so spacious and freeing to me.

• #96457 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

Patricia, I love this scene.  So fun how you’ve created a real feeling of distance.  I want to go over that road to see what’s beyond.  Funny, the trees in the top middle are my favorite part of the painting.  I live in the midwest of the USA, and this is very real here.  Nice job!

• #96500 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Thanks so much! I’ve been working on creating a sense of distance so I really appreciate your feedback.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.