Your Watercolour Paintings Polperro – David G14

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

This is a redo from one of Patrick’s tutorials.  Not as loose as Patrick’s but I love the colors and values so decided to try it again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95125 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

That’s lovely, David. – again, instantly recognizable as yours.  Well done.

• #95127 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

<p style=”text-align: left;”>This is beautiful, David! The colors all really work well together and I like the buildings and boats and stonework, in other words I love the whole thing! Also love how you’ve captured the sunshine. :)</p>

• #95130 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

David I am glad that your referenced Patrick’s tutorial video.  I am now going to search for it so I can watch it.  If I can get up enough courage I may attempt painting a boat again. I agree.  The colors are great and you did them well.

• #95131 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Superb David, you always capture the seen in bright fresh colours. Your painting is well drawn and painted.

A bit of constructive critique coming.. The one thing I think your painting is lacking is shadows the extra washes that help to describe the form of an object. Not only form but it helps to describe the texture and the subtle changes in form or angles.  I hope that makes some sense. What do you think? I be interested to know if you agree.

Thanks for sharing David

Patrick

• #95132 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Patrick,

i am a big fan of shadows. I will see if I can qdd some but i think i should have made the light from the left rear and then i would have more opportunity for some shadows on the sand.

this is my third go at this one and I used one of the older paintings for my reference when i couldn’t find your tutorial. After seeing Howard’s comment, I tried to find your tutorial but the tutorials were missing.

Fiona’s comment is interesting. She says she recognizes my style so I need to review your video to see how off I am. I find doing stones and bricks relaxing but i would like to loosen up so will be going back to your videos that i like so much. Perhaps. Willdoyour “two boats” later today.

thanks for your suggestion. I have noticed that shadows are really important and the light source might be selected to maximize their input. I willattach a recent painting that has a few but probably not enough.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95152 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

I dont remember painting this one David that doesn’t mean I didn’t I just don’t recall it.  Which video was the Polperro one do you have the link to the one you used as a resource?

You are such a competent painter David and your drawing skills are excellent although some of your paintings seem tight. If you could just let go and let the paint spill over the edges of edges and soften some edges you would be taking your work to the next level.

Try not to be tempted to describe every brick in the wall its really it’s not needed unless that is the way you want to depict the scene.   After you finish a surface like a wall or sandy beach run another pale wash of the same colour or a little cooler over it in places. This builds up depth in your work. You’re a brave, persistent painter David and you will tackle most scenes, I admire that.

I am only sharing my thoughts as I feel you probably want to free your style up a little. If I’m wrong just tell me.

Patrick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.