En Plein Air plein air boatsheds and old villa with morning sky

This topic contains 18 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sylvie548 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

There’s always so much that I’m not happy with. It’s difficult to adjust to different papers – on top of all other challenges of painting outside. I intend to make the next journal myself, following Patrick’s video. Maybe that’ll help.
    On the other hand I always look forward to my painting sessions after going to the market and I come home buzzing.
    Here are 2 of my latest ones.

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #55922 Score: 0

Andy Peters
    Participant

Very nice Tina, nice muted tones, I’ve never painted outside, something else I need to try

• #55930 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

I love it but I’m still very insecure when people are around and are curious to see what I’m doing. I have grown now from sitting on the edge of our car-boot (the security of the car around me), preferably with no people around, to sitting on a bench away from a main footpath.
      Painting the boatsheds from a bench about 10m away from the footpath made people look at me and then look the other way to see what I might be painting. I felt the distance was enough to be comfortable.
      I admire Patrick for sitting in busy places in Vietnam, painting.

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

• #55926 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

They look great to me. I love your plein air pen and wash paintings 🙂

• #55931 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Judy. I add the pen later most of the time to add interest. I think my plein air paintings lack in values, the pen makes up for this a bit.

• #55935 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

Nicely done, Tina
    Joyce

• #55938 Score: 0

Wolfgang Fuchs
    Participant
    1 pt

i like the both pictures they are really nice.
    about the people during plein air, well thats the problem why i not try it yet.
    maybe i will prepare some pic what has nothing to do with that what i painting 🙂
    most people also in my family or friends dont understand painting.
    when i show some pictures mostly they say ” it dont look like this”, i say then ” i have paint it, its no photo ..”
    but its the same as when you fishing, most people stay and ask ” already catch some fish ?” or they stay longer and after 1 hour they say ” that is boring for me waiting and no fish bite “.
    i wonder then that they wait by me so long 🙂

• #55953 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Don’t let the people around you discourage you. Tell them you’re an artist not a photocopier.

• #55944 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

I like the perspective on both of these Tina.

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #55954 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Mark.

• #55968 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

I always enjoy your plein air paintings – so full of life. Love the simplicity of pen and wash. Beautiful!

• #56062 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Fiona, much appreciated.

• #55970 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Very nice! The boat shed painting is excellent. I was thinking what the painting would be like if the boats had some color to help draw the eye.. But the lack of color also works quite nicely.

• #56063 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Good idea. I think I follow too much what is really there instead of looking what would enhance the painting. Thank you.

• #56005 Score: 0

Anonymous
    27 pts

Very nice Tina, and well done you for been brave enough to paint in public. The only time i have done so was whilst camping and I made sure it was a remote spot with no one around. I agree with you about Patricks courage in Vietnam and also when he is painting in Worcester he often tells me about people stopping to look what he is painting and some offering advice on where he could improve, at which point i think i would happily launch the passer by into the river to see how much it improved my painting then.

• #56064 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Really? How rude is that. I’ll give you a hand, pushing those guys into the water.
      Looking is one thing but commenting or especially giving advice is something different.

• #56038 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Tina, these are both lovely. I really enjoy the freedom in your pen work.
    I tried a little plein air last summer and got to the point that I actually enjoyed it. I’ll look forward to seeing more!

• #56065 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Patricia. It’s great as long as nobody stares onto your paper.

• #59731 Score: 0

sylvie548
    Participant

Beautiful pen and wash work Tina!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.