Your Watercolour Paintings Patricia’s field of sunflowers

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Annette 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Thank you Patricia for your lovely photo of the sunflower field, although out of my comfort zone decided to have a go with a quick sketch in moleskin sketchbook, I changed the horizon line so there was more land than sky and liked this composition, there is a lot to improve on in this sketch the background trees and buildings for example but I was just trying out an idea and was pleased with the foreground.  Will probably do some more studies on this reference photo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96214 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Oh Annette, this is exquisite! You’ve show me what I have to grow toward. I feel honoured that you would have a go at my photo. If you do more studies from the photo I hope you post them.

• #96217 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Thanks Patricia, I will post any future studies, I did so love your photo and enjoyed the challenge

• #96219 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Annette, this is just beautiful! I love the looseness of it and the sunflowers are awesome as is your sky. 😀

• #96237 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Annette, your colors are perfect.  I am wondering which yellows and golds you used and how you created the rich, dark greens.  Will you be doing this again on regular watercolor paper rather than moleskin?  I’d love to see the result.

Paula

• #96242 Score: 0

Annette
      Participant
      11 pts

Thank you Paula, I do intend to do this on some Arches paper possibly and a larger version and will share if happy with how it turns out!  The yellows are Cadmium yellow (I dont use this very much as its quite opaque but seemed to work here) and Quinacridone Gold. The greens were mixed from these 2 yellows and ultramarine and winsor blue, was actually trying to keep to ultramrine but was absentmindedly dipping into the winsor blue

• #96238 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Such a beautiful piece, loose and fluid. Simplified while retaining all the necessary details.  Thanks for sharing Annette.

Patrick

• #96243 Score: 1

Annette
      Participant
      11 pts

Thank you Lora and Patrick 😊

• #96246 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Very nice! Wonderful foreground with just the perfect amount of detail.. Love that depth you created

• #96258 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

This is gorgeous, what a lovely loose style you have, and you really give the feeling that this field is packed with sunflowers.

• #96263 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Thank you Robert and Brynteg 🙂

• #96264 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    19 pts

Lovely Annette, reminds me of Annabel Burton’s work.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #96309 Score: 0

Annette
      Participant
      11 pts

Thanks Brian, not familiar with Annabel Burtons work but just googled her, some very nice artwork there, thanks for the compliment

• #96551 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

Its always nice to see your painting Annette. This one is loose masterpiece! Love it. Sky is great. It just feels complete!

• #96571 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

Beautiful, Annette! Lovely fluid, transparent washes. And to produce such a wonderful painting on Moleskin exemplifies what an accomplished artist you are. Always a pleasure to see your work. 🙂

• #96582 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Alex and Judy thank you so much for your lovely comments

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.