Your Watercolour Paintings Painting flowers

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Thank you Patrick for the painting flowers video; it helped me – well not get out of a rut, but to find new ways of painting.

I went out and found a flower bed in our local park and watched it for a while. I was especially fascinated by the tall cabbage-like leaves and took several photos for reference. You can see the result below. I painted the flowers first and then filled in the background; it was a bit like doing a jigsaw. I painted several versions to use as cards for friends until I felt I could do them almost on automatic.

I’ve only told half the story, but I can’t post the next picture, I’ll try it in another post. Fingers crossed

Patricia Claire

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96973 Score: 0

Story continued! Next I tried a different approach and painted a pale background wash of cerulean blue and lemon yellow and painted the flowers loosely on top. I felt I’d made a bit of a breakthrough as loose painting is concerned. I did several of these and then … they were pretty and made nice cards … but…but is that enough?  Note: Technical problem here, my picture is not acceptable?? Can’t show it to you.

I live in Copenhagen and have enjoyed the results of the local “guerilla gardeners”, who in the spring plant wild flower seeds around the trees along the streets and in other small corners of waste ground. In the third picture you can see I tried to tell a story about these small oases of nature within the city.

Patricia Claire

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96975 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Both charming paintings, lucky friends to receive your cards

• #97046 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

These are so beautiful, Patricia! I love the loose style and the colors are gorgeous! That’s so wonderful about them planting flowers around the city…turning ugly into beautiful! 😀

• #97061 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

I like both of them, Patricia.   Two very different approaches but I think my favourite has to be the first one.

Joy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.