Your Watercolour Paintings My Dunnottar Castle attempt.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

PeteS
    Participant
    1 pt

Had fun trying this today, but I did get a bit lost for a while with the cliffs. I kind of got it together on the right hand side but it fell apart towards the left, and I somehow lost the separation between the cliff and the little hillock in the foreground- they look attached.like a scree slope. I decided it was best not to mess with it any more cus’ I was fighting a loosing battle there.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96640 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Nice painting Pete. You have dealt with the rock well. A nice mixture of hard and soft edges makes them look convincing. You’ve remained truer to the photo than I have, and its worked out well for you. The castle is nicely drawn and to scale. Good values throughout your painting.  I like the way you have suggested a few grasses bottom right, nice touch.

I am pleased you enjoyed painting this one. I think its a worthwhile exercise with lots to be gained in giving it ago.

Patrick

• #96644 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    19 pts

Very nice and i like the rocks, maybe i would have switched the left rocks with the right as the sin is shining in that direction based on the castle.  But overall you have achieved a lovely painting.

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #96653 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I think this is just beautiful, Pete! I love the loose style and the colors. The buildings are excellent and I do see the hillock as being separated from the cliff. You’ve done a marvelous job with this scene. It’s so great to see such a variety in everyone’s version of this. I have no idea how mine will turn out. Great job! 😀

• #96659 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

Love this! I haven’t had the time nor courage to try it! Think I love the flowers and grass in the foreground the most although the whole thing is pretty majestic. Think you captured it well!

• #96664 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Nicely done–the buildings especially.

Paula

• #96683 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Lovely painting, Pete! I especially like the washes in the buildings.

• #96695 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    9 pts

Fighting a loosing battle:) you made me laugh! Painting wise it’s not bad by all means. I’d give it a shot ones again. You know what to do now. Nice attempt!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.