This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Howard W 2 months ago.

• Author

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I may not be understanding how to correctly post a forum entry.  I have attempted to edit what I sent since the paragraph marks were not being displayed with the correct amount of white separation.  If the web master sees multiple entries, please delete the previous entries and let this post be the only one that remains…

I completed a landscape painting a few days ago. My post got lost in this server so this is a repost.

I used a photograph as my reference. This painting is actually a redo. The first time painting this scene I had no idea on how to paint the fall aspen trees. The first attempt to paint aspen leaves failed. I still believe I haven’t mastered the watercolor painting process for these colorful trees, but this attempt is an improvement over my first.

I have included my reference photograph taken by some other talented photographer. It shows the peak of Mount Sneffels that is located in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado.

Colors I used were cadmium yellow, Indian yellow, permanent green light, Hooker’s green light, rose madder, ultramarine blue. I mixed my grays by combining complements of ultramarine blue and quinacridone burnt orange. I like the slight changes of the grays in my forefront mountain range. To bring the viewer’s eye into these mountains I added fall colors to simulate a spattering of fall trees on the ridge lines.

To get my darks darker I added more ultramarine blue to the gray mix and a touch of alizarin crimson. Some titanium white gouge was added for highlights for the aspen trunks, etc.

I used a sponge stamping method to texture the aspen leaves.

I have included my photo reference with my latest painting.

Patrick, thank you for letting me know that my original post had been lost. I appreciate your offer to help me in this quest to get my paintings better. I have been studying luminosity, but frankly I am lost. It seems to be a complex issue with choice of paper and the correct mix of water with each individual paint color to maximize the chroma of the color. It probably also includes the technique for layering washes and paint. I am excited to learn from you.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Patrick.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95153 Score: 3

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Thanks for reposting Howard. I will put a video together best describing how I would paint this scene. Can’t promise a work of art but it might help a little.

Your painting is lovely Howard you’re just not benefiting from the translucent nature of watercolour to help your paintings come alive. This is mainly because your colours seem quite opaque. I will be back with you in a couple of days with the video.

Patrick

• #95169 Score: 0

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

Hi Howard

I like the way you approach the problems – identify them and kill one off, one at the time. I try to do things the same way.

You really have to expect to do everything alot of times before you start getting some problem solved in a way you like, and the great thing is – when you do, youll find another problem to solve, so you’re never done 🙂

Since Patrick is going to address this, im not going to pretend ill have more valuable advice.

• #95238 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi, Howard if you’ve not found it already this link will take you to the promised video demo of Mountain Fall. I hope it helps

Mountain Fall

Patrick

• #95247 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    13 pts

I’m not sure this is the place to posr my first try. I painted along with Patrick without seeing your reference photo. I’ll probably do it again with the reference photo in sight.

Patrick though these were birches but I was wondering if they might be aspens? I’m attending a family party in CO early is Sep and thinking its too early for the aspens to be in color.

Attachments:
  • #95271 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    40 pts

Beautiful interpretation, David! Yours, too, has the look of twilight, with the moon casting light over the scene–just lovely. The trees (whatever they are) are wonderful.

I think you should give your post its own separate topic.

• #95275 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Beautiful, David! I like how you have some red mixed in with the trees and how you kept them loose. Also, you did a great job with their trunks. I agree with Judy; this deserves its own post. 🙂

• #95313 Score: 0

Meryl
    Participant

Hi

i really like your colours and the painting as a whole. I struggled too to find out how to start my own post but eventually stumbled upon a link which said “Post your own watercolour here.” Could those who post regularly maybe answer with a bit more authority how to go about it? 😂 thanks

• #95314 Score: 1

JudyR
      Participant
      40 pts

Hi Meryl,

The trick is which “forum” to post your paintings in. For general posts, use “Your Watercolour Paintings”

If you go to “forums” (black toolbar at top of the page-little hammer) you will see choices. If you painted the boats from “Paint along with Patrick” video then post your work in “Paint with Patrick” forum.

The process is fairly easy. Scroll to the end of the posts in the forum and fill in the blanks. Provide a topic name e.g. Keyhaven boats — then enter any text you want in the text box.

Scroll down to Attachments–select file and upload the picture file from whatever device you are using.

Hit submit.

Not sure this was what you wanted to know, but there it is 🙂

I’m going to post this in the “anything goes” forum too.

• #95384 Score: 2

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I have been busy with other projects here in my yard and in my home. I intend to get back soon to repaint this scene after watching Patrick’s kind demonstration that has helped me a great deal.  I am immensely enjoying everyone’s editions of this challenging kiss of sunshine on Mount Sneffels’ peak and fall colored quakies at its feet.

I thank everyone here. You are all helping me. I am happy that I overcame my fears to join this website and forum.

Patrick, you have made and provided such a great friendly place where we can gather, share and support each other. You are the magnet that have pulled so many good people to your site.

• #95390 Score: 1

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Thanks for your kind words Howard but its been a joint effort with a lot of input from fabulous artists.  Martin got the ball rolling well and truly and I doubt PW would be here in this form if it wasn’t for him.

I’m looking forward to seeing your painting when you’re ready.  In the meantime have a great weekend 🙂

Patrick

• #95452 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I was real pleased that Patrick chose to help me by painting this mountain scene.  I have really struggled with it (and still do).  His demonstration did help me understand that I needed to show the rising sun’s light on this mountain’s peak. This is my first repaint of this scene since he recorded his demonstration made about a week ago.  I have been busy with chores in my yard and inside my home these past two weeks..  That’s my excuse for the delay in posting my painting shown below.

With this version, I knew right off that I did not get my mix light enough with the sunlight layer and too dark with my bluish glaze layer.  I pressed on though knowing that I will most likely paint this mountain scene again, and again, etc..  Like Patrick stated “he himself has repainted some scenes several times”. It’s a learning process; for me anyway. I do want to paint it again. It is so challenging for me. I know I will return to it often.
    I am afraid of failing. If I fail too often I could become depressed and stop painting anything for a while. I don’t want that to happen.  So with this pressure I have placed on myself, I had better show some improvement, soon.
    With this version I decided to show more of the foothills. As I inspected my reference photo I saw more foothill ridges in the reference photo. Painting these foothills with lighter mixed greens was probably a mistake. My Annie says differently. She likes them this way. Was it an honest appraisal? I’m not sure.  So next time I will paint these foothills darker, but not black. I used frisket for the small specks of color for the distant aspens and the white aspen tree trunks in the foreground.  In my next paintings I will attempt to keep the white of the paper without the use of masking fluid.  It was troublesome for me to paint over the white trunks that were masked in order to make the tree trunks look more normal instead of looking like standing white ghosts. I need to develop the skill of leaving white paper naturally anyway. I am sure doing it well is an is an acquired skill that takes a lot of practice.
    I noticed how well Judy left her “whites” in her painting of this San Juan Mountain.  Her skills amaze me.
    Also I have watched in videos how artists keep track of where they need to paint on their paper by placing a finger on their reference photo or sketch. Then they find that spot on the paper and then paint it. I have been lost and I have misplaced my painting location because I haven’t done that . I also need to learn this technique and make to a natural part of my painting process.
    So below is my third version of Mount Sneffels. This snow covered peak is located in the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado.  I will be back with another painting of this mountain scene that I hope will be an improvement over this one.
    Before leaving, I need to thank Patrick again.  You were so kind to show me the way to layer my paints in order to get better luminosity in this mountain scene (and others to follow).  I know I still need improvement beyond this attempt. You have giving me a good example and a road map to follow.  I do appreciate the time you invested in this lesson to help me “see” what I needed to correct. I won’t forget your kindness.  And, I don’t want your time wasted on me so I will make this promise: “I will continue to study and practice.  I won’t give up.”  You have made this such a great place to learn!
    Patrick, thank you very much.
    Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.