Your Watercolour Paintings More little Pen and Wash sketches

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 4 days, 23 hours ago.

• Author

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Tried to do these loosely and quickly. Sketching out the train in pencil first was not quick, however! Lots of erasing and starting over on the front part of it. I find that my hand gets shaky when using the pen; it gets a little panicky knowing pen can’t be erased! But I think it works to my advantage as it helps achieve my goal of making the whole picture look lively and loose and not so perfect and too detailed. ๐Ÿ˜€

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96288 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

And one more…All of these are from photos online.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #96319 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      4 pts

I’d love an illustrated Don Quixote done in this style ๐Ÿ™‚

• #96371 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

LOL thanks so much, Domino! ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96325 Score: 0

brynteg
      Participant
      1 pt

Hi Lora,

I really like the windmills, you have captured their movement, and the composition works with the colours to lead your eye into the picture. I agree with one of the comments above that this sketch would make a great book illustration. Nice work!

• #96372 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks so much, brynteg! Had fun with this! ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96299 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    8 pts

I am the same way with the pen, can hardly hold it steady because I get nervous to make mistakes! ๐Ÿ™‚ All of these are really lovely. You seem to be a natural with the pen. What sort of pen do you use? I am still trying to find my perfect sketching pen. Right now I use a Lamy safari, which I like because it makes a little scratchy lines, but that sometimes works against me too, especially when writing. I don’t like to write with it at all! I recently ordered a Sailor fude pen, as I want to be able to vary the lines more, but I still haven’t received it. My favourite for writing so far is the Jinhao 992. But again… Not found the perfect sketching pen yet!

• #96373 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks so much, Agathe! I was at the mercy at what our local Wal-mart had in stock as I didn’t want to order one and have to wait for it lol. I read reviews on it and it sounded great, waterproof, forgery proof, however, my experience was that when I went over ink with watercolor it ran some, so I just decided to add ink after the painting part. Anyway, it UniBall Vision Elite. I know nothing about ink pens lol! So this works for me for now. Just going to do pen and wash when I want to do a little fun carefree painting. ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96306 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Your pen work is really good, fresh and loose. How brave of you to go direct to pen! My sketching pen is a Platinum Carbon pen. They are really inexpensive ($12.) here in Canada, take cartridges that last forever and have a consistent, not choppy fine line. For a thicker line or to make notes in my sketchbook I use the Lamy Joy. I really like the weight of it in my hand.

Keep those sketches coming!

• #96307 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      8 pts

I checked out the Platinum Carbon pen, and it seems many people like it for sketching. I will have to order one! I have so many fountain pens by now that it’s getting insane, but then I use them for so many different things and with many different inks.

• #96374 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks so much, Patricia! I surprised myself with these as I thought I’d be rotten at this technique lol. I know nothing about pens, I just got Uniball Vision Elite at our Wal-mart; was too impatient to order one online. ๐Ÿ˜€ Your pen sounds like an excellent one!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96310 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    10 pts

These are lovely and I think you did indeed achieve your goal of lively and loose

• #96375 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, Annette! Hoping these little exercises will also help me to become more loose and carefree in my paintings that are not pen and wash. ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96316 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Fabulous, where is it. ย Reminds me of a place in Greece

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #96472 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, Brad! Sorry I meant to go check where this is and I must’ve got distracted and I forgot! It’s from a photo on pixabay and in the tags were Veendam Groningan Netherlands. ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96320 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Couple of interesting paintings Lora. Using a pen does make your hands shake. As you say you’re totally committed. Very hard to cover up any mistakes.

What I ask myself before starting a pen drawing is does the subject require pen work or is it better suited to just watercolor and pencil. I think the same when looking at any pen drawing and you’re in your case, Lora. I felt the first painting of the train and river didn’t benefit from or suit pen work. However, the second painting is perfect and your pen really enhances the scene. Very nice painting. This is just my thoughts, I understand we all see things differently.

Patrick

• #96376 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Totally understand what you mean, Patrick. ๐Ÿ˜€ I won’t be adding pen to my regular paintings that are bigger as it’s not my favorite style. Just something fun to do sometimes. Thanks so much for your input. ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96367 Score: 0

Bob Hussey
    Participant
    2 pts

There’s something about pen and watercolor that always looks right to me. And these are no exception. In particular I think the windmills are just lovely. You really captured the essence (if that makes any sense at all).

• #96377 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks so much, Bob! I came to close to shying away from doing the windmills; glad I decided to give it a try! ๐Ÿ˜€

• #96469 Score: 0

PeteS
    Participant
    1 pt

They are beautiful Lora, all of them – Really love the Mills!ย  I have never been confident either to pen first. I tend to sketch in pencil – paint then ink any line work at the end. I did try black biroย  “ball pen”, found I had a bit more control with those as you can ghost lines in first – barely visible then add more pressure.

• #96473 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks, Pete! Yes, using ink and knowing once it’s on the paper, it’s there to stay is a bit intimidating. I do have to sketch certain objects in pencil first, but for trees, foliage etc I just wing it. My waterproof pen isn’t so waterproof so I have to do all watercolor first, but that works ok for me. Your type of pen sounds like a winner! Mine is a Uniball Vision Elite…since I wanted one straight away,ย  I was at the mercy of what our local Wal-Mart had in stock. ๐Ÿ˜€

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.