This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  JudyR 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

i painted this from a photo I took last year when we were in Maui. I loved the way the trees and people were silhouetted against the sky. This is one of my first paintings done outside of class. I tried to follow Patrick’s video called “Simple Sunset-East Coast Watercolor” so thank you, Patrick! I will attempt to attach the photo as well as my painting in case anyone would like to “give it a go,” as Patrick puts it.

• This topic was modified 3 months ago by  PCampbell.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96460 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

Here is the photo

Attachments:
  • #96462 Score: 0

PCampbell
    Participant
    2 pts

Technical difficulties are not allowing me to upload the painting in its vertical orientation! I swear I did not paint it the way it shows here.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  PCampbell.
    Attachments:
  • #96470 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

Nicely done. I like how you brought back the shapes in the shadows that just look black in the photo.

• #96475 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

This is really great! It looks like it would be difficult to paint, but you’ve captured the atmosphere so well and your figures are excellent. 😀

• #96507 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Beautiful sunset painting. I can just imagine standing there sipping a cocktail and watching the sunset. Simply beautiful painting. I like the way you have left the sky holes through the palms to show the light coming through so important but often missed out. Gorgeous colours. Total success.

I would have this painting on my wall. Just a happy reminder of good times.

Patrick

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Patrick.
  • #96512 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

This is so lovely. The colours of the sunset are well done, not overly intense and I really like that There is a sense of detail in the trees even though they are in silhouette.

Thanks for sharing!

• #96524 Score: 0

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

You have really captured the atmosphere of a seashore sunset, I like the silhouettes of the trees and the romantic feel with the couple watching the sunset, this is a lovely painting.

• #96547 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    6 pts

Very nice painting. Colorful and realistic.

• #96575 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    41 pts

Beautifully painted. Silhouettes are hard to paint in any medium, but you’ve done a wonderful job. The sunset colors are lovely, and the blackish green of the trees, figures, and foreground is a great choice over the black in the photo.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.