Your Watercolour Paintings Matisse Dishes and Fruit – A Study

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mrchirps 1 month ago.

• Author

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

I don’t have the richness of color, but I tried and am fairly happy with the end result.  I was too timid to add more darks.  It’s been a while since I painted,

CFD76FDE-3EF4-466E-836E-4CD6685890E4
    73364002-E56C-493A-900E-5C8B1EE18B86

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97639 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    13 pts

I think you have done a great job on this and would look lovely framed up.  It is scary going darker but you could paint another one and experiment with the darks.  It looks like he used oil paint so that would account for the rich colours he achieved.

• #97642 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Wow–really nice!  Maybe glazing over the two sections of wall and the table cloth with brighter colors and deeper values would make the items on the table pop. By the way, the dishes and fruit are painted beautifully!

Paula

• #97648 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thanks Annette and Paula for your recommendations.  I will take your advice and try glazing to bring more color and depth.  I appreciate your help.  Carol

• #97654 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

I was trying to figure out which one was Matisse:) I guess oil painted one. But seriously, your painting is very good. I like on his painting more colorful shadows on the table. I wonder if it would be even possible to recreate in watercolor.

• #97658 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Fantastic!! Wonderful rendition… colors, blending, drawing all well done! I agree with Alex, color on the tabletop could have been more colorful, but you did an amazing “Matisse”!  😉

• #97662 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

You’ve done a great job of reproducing Matisse but unfortunately its very difficult to get the depth of oils in watercolor.  Some people do and I’ve even done some on swabs but not with washes with transparent watercolor.  Maybe its possible with opaque colors but they tend to be chalky and dull.

The more I look at yours, the more I like it.  The looseness and the smooth transition of values.  I agree that it would be nice to darken some of the foreground objects and only hope that you don’t lose the freshness.

• #97666 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you Alex, K8 and David.  I am grateful for your excellent suggestions and that you liked this interpretation of the Matisse painting.  I will take your welcomed advice and work on the table and fruit colors.  Had thought about using pastels to improve some  colors, but will only do that if I mess up adding more washes.  : )

It was good to be back in touch with you all.  Has anyone heard from Patrick recently?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.