Your Watercolour Paintings Lighthouse – Portsmouth NH

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Although I’ve done this before, I saw a photo on The Accidental Watercolorist and couldn’t resist joining the challenge.  Perhaps we can start posting on Pure Watercolor and get things going again.

I masked the lighthouse with packing tape and unfortunately the top layer of the paper peeled off and that’s why the lighthouse area is fuzzy.  I bought the sheet on eBay and it doesn’t have a watermark but seems to be 140 lb NOT.  Fortunately, there were only one or two sheets in the lot which was mainly 300 lb.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97270 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow, David, I love this!! It really is beautiful. I’m going to have to be honest and say I’m so jealous of that rocky area…I have a very hard time with rocky areas like that….with painting the darks negatively to make the rocks pop out. I also love the color of your sea and all that sparkle on it is really eye catching. Not to mention your lighthouse is superb. 😀

• #97278 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Lora,

i hope you see this.  For the rocks, make sure you use three values and try to watch the light source although its pretty easy to get away with mistakes.  I have a lot of trouble with soft edges but a combination of hard and soft edges really helps.

• #97281 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, David for the tips! I think out of those you mentioned, the hard edges are my biggest problem and what I’m most afraid of doing and getting wrong or doing them too dark. But I can see how important they are; without these very dark areas of the underside of rock and dark crevices, the rocks wouldn’t stand out at all. You’ve given me a reminder I needed…pay more attention to the light source. Thanks for the help. 🙂

• #97288 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

A very nice painting, David, but I’d like to see more depth of colour in the foreground sea and rocks which would add a great deal of depth and perspective.

Joy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.