Your Watercolour Paintings Last tries to paint

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

Nothing came out right. These southwest scenes are tricky to paint.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97591 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

I’m finding much to appreciate in your two paintings, Alex. You’ve got a great foreground, mid-ground and background in your first painting!  I really like the way you can show a vastness of landscape on such a grand scale. I don’t know what size your paintings are but you really get the impression that you are at the precipice of a wide open plain. That is quite an accomplishment! I really enjoy the way the hills on the left hand side in the background rise above the plain again, beyond focal butte. Well painted.

The land formations in the second painting keep your eyes moving through the painting and really gives the sense that the road rises and falls with the terrain and winds over the hills rather than looking like it stops short and that is where cars fall off the planet 🙂  It may sound stupid but I’ve managed to give that illusion in my attempts.

A few days ago I read your comment that you are trying to keep the forum moving and encouraging while there seems to be a lull in participation. I hope you’re encouraged that I, and others enjoy what you paint. My hands currently aren’t allowing me to paint otherwise I would post as well.

Cheers

• #97607 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Thank you for interesting comment. I usually paint on 1/8 imperial sheet which is 8.5x 11 inches approximately. This one I had arches album 9×12. None of them took more than an hour to paint. I’m not putting too much effort to perfect my life paintings. It’s more of a study and exercise. I’m thinking to redo first one just to see if I can paint this scene better. Second one has too much green color on it and that’s just too frustrating for me. I’m just not in good relationship with green and will avoid it:). About this site. I love it and I want it to exist. I enjoy seeing paintings of old members. We’ve came a long way together. Seeing everyone’s improvement such a treat! I hope new members stick around for long enough to see fruit of their work. It’s a process. Some get it easy, some are slow learners like myself. Thanks for looking in to details of this painting. It means a lot to me!

• #97596 Score: 0

RandyLouise
    Participant
    2 pts

I agree with everything that Kate said above. I have not attempted it but I can imagine that the haze of the hot desert landscape would be a challenge, particularly in watercolor. But, these are very nice, well composed. When I’m questioning what I’ve put down, I will turn away from the painting for a while and come back to it for a fresh view. I’m always so hesitant to bring values up to the point they need to be. It’s the scary part for me, but it usually pays off.

The only thing I might change about the first one, would be to make the butte a little less hazy – more distinction between it and the sky. and darken the shadow on the shadow side, and lighten the value on the sun side to provide more contrast. That way you have your lightest light up against your darkest dark, calling attention to your focal point (if that is your intent).

The only think that I think could be improved upon in your second painting is the road. Maybe soften the curve of the road on the left side where it looks more of an angle than a curve like the right side. And maybe soften the line of the road a bit or break it up.

These are picky points and are well enough left alone. The paintings a terrific as is.

http://mypaintedmemories.wordpress.com
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/yourwatercolormemory

• #97608 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Thanks for your input! Light and dark tip is priceless, I wish I could just change my ways and applied good knowledge to my paintings:). On first painting I was trying to recreate hasy sunset. The foto had very low contrast and I tried to recreate that. It took many attempts and made it look overworked and dirty. I just called it done and stopped messing with it. Free time has been an unbelievable challenge to find lately. So if I get chance to paint it’s about an hour and it has to be finished that time. It is an impression of a place after all. Good points about improving second painting. Thanks! They all are left in Ukraine.

• #97600 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    13 pts

Alex, your improvement shows in these very tricky landscapes you paint, just keep on going, you are getting better snd better, good points to be noted from K8 and /RL too.

• #97609 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Thanks Annette! I always like these landscapes and maybe one day will paint something I’ll be proud of. I feel it’s not impossible anymore. My father inspired me to paint local sceanery. He paints his  village in Ukraine. It feels good to me to paint my local landscapes. It’s probably hard to see what I’ve tried to paint to people who lives in places with green grass and trees with leaves on:)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.