Paint With Patrick Two Boats Keyhaven boats

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JudyR 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

JudyR
    Participant
    37 pts

5 x 7 Arches 140 NOT   My boat is a little more rough and scuffed than the original and I seemed to have splattered the sky by mistake in my enthusiasm 🙂

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Patrick.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95202 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    27 pts

Looks like you went the same way as me and painted it without a stronger light source. You managed a better shape on the boats than I did very nicely drawn and painted. The splatter really helps the texture on the beach must remember to use that technique more often. I am sure your bit of splatter in the sky could sprout wings an become a seagal. 🙂

Lovely painting judy thanks for sharing and taking part.

Patrick

• #95212 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      37 pts

I did, Patrick. Looked at the photo and just started painting. Didn’t even consider a light source. Have to try that next time! Would be a big step in class if I didn’t always paint what I see. Thanks for pointing it out. And good idea to include a bird or two–I think the sky could use it. 🙂

• #95206 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    1 pt

Oh wow, Judy! I know I tell you this all the time, but I love the looseness of your paintings and how you balance that with just the right amount of detail. I like your beat up boat. I love how everyone has taken this scene and made it their own.

I like how you added some burgundyish color in the foliage and I, too, like the splatter. My grandmother used that a lot in her landscapes, especially on sand. And I was thinking, like Patrick, those errant splatters can be a couple of birds in the sky. 🙂

• #95214 Score: 1

JudyR
      Participant
      37 pts

Thanks, Lora! I never used much splatter until I saw Patrick and a few other artists on PW use it to great effect. Splatter does make great pebbles and stones. The burgundyish color is Mauve. I use it all the time to add an accent color. I use it “neat” and mixed with burnt umber.

• #95274 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    11 pts

Your boats are fabulous (particularly the dinghy) and i love the looseness.  I actually did another one but, for some reason it came out like the first.  I hope to redo the mountains today and will post it as you suggested.

• #95316 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

I always love your style and color choices. Nice work!

• #95318 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      37 pts

Thanks, Kate! It’s so wonderful to see you back on the site. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.