Your Watercolour Paintings It don't mean a thing if it ain't got the swing …

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  K8 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

Hubby has been requesting a large painting (or more) for ages. Finally I gave it a go and this is the result. It’s a full sheet Fabriano 300g, cold press (I think).
    I made the first wash too strong, so had to do a lot of lifti g colour and it’s impressive what the paper could take.
    I took photos of the process and if you turn the first one upside down, you’ll probably see a round head with a big nose 😉

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #54757 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

This is the final version. Not a masterpiece but I’m quite satisfied.

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #54760 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Wow! Very creative. So much movement and interest.. Great job!

• #54888 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Robert. Much appreciated.

• #54764 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Tina, what a fabulous painting! I love it. I can hear the music lilting off the paper (or maybe it’s that song playing over and over in my head…it don’t mean a thing… 🙂 Bravo for taking on such a large piece–whole blank sheets terrify me. Fantastic work.

• #54889 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Judy. They sure are intimidating. I am painting a smaller one where I dribbled Gesso, let it dry and then put a wash with 3 colours on and looked where it took me. That one is still in progress but hubby saw it and liked it. He’s been nagging for so long, so with this technique it wasn’t quite as terrifying. But it sure is different working big.

• #54765 Score: 0

Johnniez
    Participant

Well Tina.. I tried and tried and tried to turn you picture over to see the ‘red’ spot but I just could not.. Must be too heavy for me !!

Nice painting.. Must have took a while

Great job!

Johnnie

Every Day Is A Great Day
    Some Are Just Better Than Others

• #54893 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Johnnie. It’s important to put the brush down regularly, let it dry, step back and look. This way it took a while, yes.

• #54767 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

Brilliant. Would look great in a large frame and hanging on the wall of a jazz club.

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #54895 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Mark. No Jazzclubs around here – sadly. It will end up in our lounge and there is quite a bit of jazz to be heard. 🙂 We’ll have to find a suitable frame that doesn’t break the bank.

• #54771 Score: 0

Wolfgang Fuchs
    Participant
    1 pt

first i think what is that but then i saw a violine or guitar, parts of an piano an a sax,
    now i know there is musik in the painting and the big round thing must be the drum.
    well done great painting to show the musik.
    greetings wolfgang.

• #54896 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Wolfgang. I like it, that you have to look twice to see what’s happening. It’s surely easier when you see it ‘live’.

• #54782 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

Really excellent! Fun to find all the instruments! Looks as if this was a fun thing to paint, despite the size, as it’s loose, colorful, energetic. Well done!

• #54898 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Fiona. You know I like to play with washes and then look what I can see. Yes, it was fun. But it also took some courage to start working after the first wash. That’s always the hardest step for me.

• #54795 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

At first I didn’t see the musical instruments, and when they came into view, it was fantastic! Love it!
    Paula

• #54899 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thank you, Paula.

• #54861 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

Beautifully done, Tina. It is pretty daunting when you’re faced with that big sheet of paper, but it gives you so much room to play. I would love to see this when it is framed.
    Joyce

• #54900 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Joyce. I’ll try to remember to post it again when it’s framed.

• #54871 Score: 0

jezzy
    Participant

Beautiful painting. I love the colours and movement.

• #54902 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Jezzy.

• #54903 Score: 0

Brian McC
    Participant

I “see” a simple fairly dark wood frame with jigsawed musical notes on it . what an intersting and wonderful piece
    Brian McC

• #54909 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Brian. I’m not sure about the notes but a simple dark wooden frame would suit me fine.

• #54960 Score: 0

Peter_RB
    Participant
    8 pts

Love this adventure you are on Tina with your art work, you have not mentioned abstract but that is surely what it is or is it.

• #55021 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
      Participant
      7 pts

Thanks, Peter. I suppose you can call it abstract. I don’t care much for labels. I’m just trying to learn and have fun on the way (and shut hubby up on the way, ha ha ;-))

• #55136 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Fantastic! I love it!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.