Anything Goes – Well Almost! Indoor lighting for painting

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Agathe 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I am in Northern Norway, and part of the year there’s no sunlight, which means that the only source of light for painting is the lamps I have. However, the light is not good enough to paint in, it’s hard to see details and impossible to get colors and values right. I was painting this evening, and although barely August (we have daylight 24/7 in summer), it was already getting so dark that I had problems.

What do you do for indoor lighting when you paint? I need a solution for this unless I’m prepared to take a couple of months break from painting in winter. Just get a lamp with a really bright lightbulb? I mostly paint in the kitchen and all the light sources are light tubes. Two above the counter/stove, and the one on the ceiling. But it’s nowhere near sufficient. I have no extra lamp, but might have to get one. Just not sure it’ll be good enough even then. Any thoughts?

• #95242 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

I use two LED 16w daylight bulbs.

• #95243 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks, Robert! I’ll see if I can find that here. 🙂

• #95244 Score: 0

casper
    Participant
    5 pts

I bought a 6000 Kelvin light bulp, its alot bluer than regular electric light, but is supposedly alot light daylight. You can also get these as LED, like robert said.

• #95249 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    13 pts

When the weather is good, i paint on my deck. Otherwise i use my home office which has poor light: one 150 watt equivalent LED. I also have a wood desk which is quite distressed from water drips and a beige carpet that i shampoo every few weeks but there are some colors that are permanent. My wife wants to move and i would like my next home to have a studio with a skylight and LEDs in the ceiling.

• #95257 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi Agathe, I made this short video this morning showing my studio light setup it may give you some ideas. I wrote it as a blog post so follow the link and it should take you to the video.  Hope it helps.

My Studio Light Setup

Patrick

• #95263 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks so much everyone for your help, and especially for the video! I wish I had space to make myself a little studio, but so far I need a solution that I can move around. So a lamp with one of these bulbs will probably do for now. In the future though I hope to have more space and hopefully even a whole room set aside for painting. I screwed up a painting yesterday because of the light. 😉 I’m going to the city in a week or so. Will write it on my shopping list because the selection of light bulbs here is probably just down to the bare minimals.

• #95300 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    18 pts

A cheap alternative would be to change the bulb in your existing lamp with a daylight bulb. Blue in colour they give off a spectrum that’s pretty close to real daylight.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #95303 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks Brian! I’ll have a look for bulbs like that when I’m in the city. I should be able to find a lamp I can use it with. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.