This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  JudyR 11 months ago.

• Author

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

A screensaver popped up that I liked, so I did a quick sketch to paint. It started out as an 8 x10 painting of the boat against a bank of reeds and a clear reflection in the water. What drew me to the image were the reeds and a chance to experiment with wet in wet application of a heavy dose of pigment, allowing some bleed for a reflection and pulling loose strands of pigment with a rigger brush. Not a novel technique but one I sometimes struggle with. I would love to successfully do a whole painting applying globs of paint and pulling out discernable shapes. (Tina does a brilliant job of it) I can’t seem to control the paint and usually wind up with a big mess.
    I also liked the colors on the boat. In the end, I cropped the painting to 5×7 to focus on the reeds and most of the boat with a bit reflection.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #54777 Score: 0

Andy Peters
    Participant

I like that Judy, very nice and loose, it looks a very relaxed laid back painting that could could grace any wall.

• #54781 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

Wonderful, loose, relaxed painting with an amazing boat! You’ve really nailed the shape here. Great!

• #54788 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

This is excellent! Great job with the technique.

• #54793 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    12 pts

The reeds are great. The boat, too!
    Paula

• #54848 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Lovely painting Judy. The reeds and the reflections are excellent. You have caught the curve on the stern of the boat nicely too. Great job 🙂

Patrick

• #54853 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

A lovely little scene. Nice work.
    Joyce

• #54874 Score: 0

jezzy
    Participant

I love the way you have painted the reeds and reflections. There is a lovely serene atmosphere. I like the way the coolness of the reeds is complimented by the areas of warmth in the boat and hints of warmth in the sky. Beautifully done!

• #54877 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

I like the shape of the boat and the looseness of the reeds.

I think, given the darkness of the reflections of the reeds you could go much darker on the boat’s reflection, particularly the area immediately under the boat where it sits on the water. Also, I think you have the same reflection perspective problem as you had in the canal scene. The left hand side of the boat’s reflection is bothering me. Shouldn’t it cut away to the right, or am I being to picky?

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #54890 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

Hi Mark,
      Yes, I could make the reflection darker at the water line. I did darken it a bit; it may not have shown up in my uploaded photo.
      I’m not sure I understand your point about the perspective. I didn’t save the reference photo and a search for it was unsuccessful. I didn’t print and trace the image and was fairly accurate with my sketch. I attached it so you can see the full composition before I cropped it.
      I also attached the painting in a $4 Walmart frame–because I think it looks nice 🙂
      I do want to get it right, so I appreciate the feedback.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #54881 Score: 0

Wolfgang Fuchs
    Participant
    1 pt

lovely picture, i guess when i longer look at it i can really relax
    there is the silent for the soal in
    good work
    greetings wolfgang.

• #54885 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the kind comments!

• #54887 Score: 0

Brian McC
    Participant

The upper right quadrant is “inspired” !
    I’m still feeling ‘intimidated’ by boat hulls…Grumble, growl sooo I’m going to draw your boat several times in different sizes. I have this silly “should” that I SHOULD be able to draw any boat any time because I grew up around and on them…The fact that I have not done a lot of drawing in the last couple of years “should” have nothing to do with it :}}
    Thank you for a beautiful, peaceful image with a boat I can copy
    Brian McC

• #54894 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

Thanks, Brian! I just attached my sketch in response to a comment Mark made–so maybe it will be helpful to you. 🙂

• #54904 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

This is so beautiful. I love your use of colours. It has such a tranquility to it.
    And thanks for the compliment. Letting go of the urge to paint something ‘ real’ has helped me. Even if the result looks like a parrot after a car-crash. 😉

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

• #54918 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

It looks great in the frame. You have lost the part of the reflection which bothered me, so it looks perfect and it seems darker too. A lovely addition to your wall.

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #54930 Score: 0

Brian McC
    Participant

Judy, Thank you, am downloading it now and Yes, it will help!!

You’re $4 frame is a “wow” a lovely painting!
    Thank you again
    Brian McC

• #54943 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

If you haven’t already, check out Patrick’s tutorials on drawing boats. It’s a great lesson. I think these links are correct.

• #54940 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    12 pts

This is lovely, calm and restful, great use of watercolour

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.