Your Watercolour Paintings Hiking in Banff, Alberta

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 2 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Here’s a little waterfall scene from a hiking trip a few years back. I tried direct painting this time.  A different palette, too–sap green, lemon yellow, winsor violet, yellow ochre, ultra marine, cobalt turquoise, and burnt sienna.  I like the dark green that a mixture of Winsor violet and sap green makes. I usually don’t use green from a tube, but I also like the light green that you get from lemon yellow and sap green.  I learned these combinations from a book by Lucy Willis–love her watercolors!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97688 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

P.S. This is one of those paintings that looks so much better if you stand back from it (and take off your glasses, too–Ha!)

• #97691 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

Painting is looking very fresh nd alive. Interesting brushwork. I like how it goes through entire painting, little bit like Van Gouge. Greens are great. I think I’ve tried sap green long time ago. Didn’t work for me. I’ve managed to make nice mud out of it:)

waterfall turned out very nice. Transition from light to darker blue make it look real.

• #97694 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Very pretty painting, Paula. Impressionistic brush strokes and great color palette! I really like the waterfalls, too, especially the effects of it pooling at the bottom. The layered effect of the shale is spot on. Nice painting!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  K8.
  • #97723 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

Actually this waterfall is in Glacier National Park. I got my photos mixed up.

• #97727 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      8 pts

Interesting park! Beautiful scenery. I went through my fotos a few times but never could pick something to paint.  I was lucky to spend there a few days. The worst thing there for me was it’s camping in the tent in forest. I was ready to be eaten by bears at night:)

• #97741 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Very nice. I like the brush work indicating the strata in the rocks and the movement of the water. Great light

Take time to look and make sure you see.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.