Introduce Yourself Hi, i'm a newbie

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Claire C 1 year ago.

• Author

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

I’ve been learning to paint with watercolour for about 6 months. Previous to this, I haven’t created any 2D art since art college 16 years ago (i studied ceramics). I found this site through YouTube tutorials and i’m so pleased I have. Everyone seems really friendly. I’ll try to post to painting I’ve just finished. It’s from the beginners website tutorial. I look forward to being part of the community. Claire

• #55539 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Welcome. Claire! Glad to have you join us. Jump in whenever you are ready. Post your paintings; join in the challenges. All here are helpful and encouraging. Look forward to seeing your work.

• #55540 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

I can’t seem to upload the painting. I have an error msg ‘file not valid’. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong! It’s a jpeg and within size limits

• #55541 Score: 0

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

Hi Claire, welcome to the site. Are you sure the file is less than 1.95 mb?

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #55542 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi JudyR and Merrymouse.

Yes, it’s showing a size of 4890kb. I must be doing something wrong but can’t figure out what!

• #55543 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

I don’t know much when it comes to kilobytes and megabytes, but I think there are 1,000 kbs in 1 mb so that would make your file 4.89 mb–so too large.

• #55544 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

Ohhh!
    Thanks JudyR. You clearly know more about bites than I do. I don’t understand how others are able to post photos of their work that surely must be over the limit. Any ideas?

• #55545 Score: 0

Anonymous
    22 pts

Hi Claire, welcome! What I do is export my photo (I’m on a Mac) and then it’s the right size. Can’t wait to see your work.

• #55547 Score: 3

Brian
    Participant
    19 pts

You’ll need a photo compress app or program to reduce your picture files.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #55549 Score: 0

Gig
    Participant
    1 pt

Hi there,

I’m new here to so hello from a newcomer 🙂

• #55551 Score: 1

Mark
    Participant
    18 pts

It depends on what platform you are using. On a pc I open the photo in microsoft office picture manager and compress the file size.

****Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools speak because they have to say something****

• #55552 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

Thank you all for your messages.

Thanks Brian, I’ll check out a photo compression app

• #55553 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

Wow, that was easy. Thanks again Brian.

This is what I painted this evening.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #55555 Score: 0

Andy Peters
    Participant

Very nice Claire, I must pluck up the courage to have a go at that one. It’s lovely.

• #55558 Score: 1

Claire C
      Participant
      1 pt

Thanks Andy.

Just have a go. It’s more important to enjoy making a painting than what the final thing looks like. And if you don’t like the outcome, well every piece of paper has two sides 🙂

• #55559 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    13 pts

I like your painting philosophy and your painting, too!
    Paula

• #55560 Score: 0

Gig
    Participant
    1 pt

Nice painting Claire, it looks great 🙂

• #55562 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Glad you sorted out the uploading. Lovely painting, Claire.

• #55569 Score: 0

Petjoy
    Participant
    4 pts

A lovely painting.
    Joyce

• #55595 Score: 0

jezzy
    Participant

Hi Claire. I really like your painting. Lovely and fresh!

• #55634 Score: 0

Tina Sei.
    Participant
    7 pts

Welcome, Claire. Your off to a great start, I love your strong colours and sense of light.
    Have fun, enjoy the challenges, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Don't worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don't even try. (J. Canfield)

• #55639 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi Clair welcome to PW see your already uploading work and getting stuck in, great to have you on board.

You have done a lovely job of the sailing boat tutorial considering you have only been painting 6 months its great progress and you should be very happy. Looking forward to seeing more of your work in due course.

Patrick

• #55689 Score: 0

harryd
    Participant
    2 pts

Hi Clair, welcome to the site. Nice painting – off to a flier!

• #55692 Score: 0

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Happy you could join us.. Very good watercolor!

• #55702 Score: 0

Claire C
    Participant
    1 pt

Thank you everyone, for your very encouraging words.

Patrick, I was watching one of your YouTube tutorials the other evening when the notification popped up about your first live stream. Watched the whole thing and looking forward to more.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.