Your Watercolour Paintings Herring: It's Not Easy

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  AlexK 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I was inspired by Agathe; so much so that I stated that I would attempt painting some myself.  I complicated my composition a bit by choosing a photo reference that had a pile of fish.  I attempted to simplify it some.

I can say for myself that painting fish is not an easy task.  I could spend more time fussing on this, but I am sure I would only overwork it more from this point. Actually, I reached a point that I didn’t want to spend any more time on it. This started to go downhill and I couldn’t recover.

I won’t be painting fish again for some time to come.
    Anyone painting fish will have my immediate respect.
    • This topic was modified 1 month ago by  Howard W.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97005 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    19 pts

Excellent painting. Great colours.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #97007 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

As complicated subject as it is it turned out perfect. The only thing id eliminate is pen cross hatch. I think even without it painting would be complete.

• #97017 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

Lovely fish.   They sit together well.

• #97037 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow, Howard, this is really impressive! I think you’ve done an excellent job and I love the colors especially the blues. Very well done! 😀

• #97053 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Hi Howard,

I like the way you added detail to the central fish and left the background fish more loosely painted. Nice work.

Paula

• #97073 Score: 0

Bob Hussey
    Participant
    2 pts

What a difficult subject! And you have done a masterful job! Love the detail and depth of the foreground fish. Love the looseness and lack of detail of the background fish (that still keep their identity as fish). Terrific!

• #97147 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I will be leaving ink cross-hatching alone from here on out.  That’s for sure.  This is an example of being compelled to create the details that should be ignored when painting.

Thank you for all of your kind comments.

• #97157 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

I keep coming back to look at your painting. Simply awesome! I’m jealous in a good way.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.