Your Watercolour Paintings Forest 3 primary sketch

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 2 days, 10 hours ago.

• Author

AlexK
    Participant
    4 pts

I’ve tried for the first time to paint with 3 colors only and I have to say what a joy!

Anyways. It was close to sunset and there was long stripes of light and shadows. I had maybe 15 minutes to paint. At first I didn’t like how it turned out. It’s just a quick sloppy sketch. But then I saw it from a distance and I thought it was not too bad. I think this could be as an idea for better painting.

I used Prussian blue, azo yellow and permanent alizarin pr264

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96958 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Well done with only the three colors! The shadow shapes are really nice and you get a feel for the atmosphere even if it is a loose sketch.

• #96960 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    18 pts

Very successful with only three colours.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #96969 Score: 0

I love the the light coming through the trees and the leaves work very well too.

Patricia Claire

• #96977 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    10 pts

Nicely done Alex, such a good thing to paint in only 3 colours, takes the headache out of choosing an appropriate palette for the reference

• #96982 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    10 pts

You might like to check out the videos of Erik Lundgren on You Tube. He often uses only three colors.

Paula

• #97065 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    1 pt

I really like this Alex.     It’s a surprising thing about many of the pictures that inspire the most emotive reaction.  You don’t want to see them close up and examine every minute detail – it’s when you see them from across the room that the magic happens.    In this case it’s when you really feel the depth of the woodland and the rustle of the trees and want to wander in amongst them.   I’d love to see what you do with this as a main painting.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.