Your Watercolour Paintings First sketch in the Stillmann & Birn sketchbook

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 2 months ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I finally dared to try out my new Stillman & Birn sketchbook. After great advice to not save it for special occasions, like I had originally planned, the next obstacle was the fact that the pages are much bigger in this one than in the Moleskine. So much more space to fill, all the more pressure! I was downright nervous when I started.

I think it ended up so so. I had to do some wet on wet, which isn’t my strong suit. I still haven’t learned to find a good balance to how wet the page should be, so it gets too wet, and I go back in trying to correct, and it ends up a bit of a mess. So this is all just down to practice and getting some more experience. That said, this is not cotton paper, so I guess I shouldn’t expect miracles on it either. I chose to keep some color at the writing on the window and the cup, when they are really in shadow and should maybe be left black. I just felt everything would be black then. I also had a bit of an issue with my Posca white marker that seemed to bubble a bit. I’m guessing it is that the paint underneath wasn’t entirely dry. So another lesson learned.

In the end though, I am happy I managed to get something down on the first page. So there’s that accomplishment at least! 😉

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by  Agathe.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96347 Score: 0

Patricia L
    Participant
    6 pts

Agathe, I’m really enjoying how you contrasted the strong colours and firm edges of the inside of the cafe against the diffuse and softly rendered exterior.

Which Stillman and Birn are you using, if I may ask. It looks like a Beta to me.

• #96351 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks, Patricia! Yes, it’s the Beta. It has very thick paper, but it did buckle a little when painting. I used  a lot of water though, so that may be it. Otherwise it looks very good!

• #96352 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

I still haven’t learned to find a good balance to how wet the page should be, so it gets too wet, and I go back in trying to correct, and it ends up a bit of a mess.

Not sure if you just mean for this particular paper, but Iulia Carchelan altered my idea of where “too wet” is, and it’s a lot wetter than I imagined 🙂

She doesn’t seem to think the paper is wet enough until it starts buckling..

• #96388 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

I love watching Iulia Carchelan paint…it blows my mind how she uses so much water and just seems to plop color in it and ends up with a beautiful painting!!

• #96354 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

I think you’ve done the brilliantly in the first page of your sketchbook. The cafe table and cup is superb it works for me. Very moody feeling you’ve created.

I would say you need to think about creating distance where it comes to looking out of the door Everything seems very close almost like its a poster hanging, not a view through the door window.   This is still a lovely different style painting and it doesn’t detract from the overall feel you’ve created.

Patrick

• #96361 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

@domino Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out. 🙂 I did mean in general. I have done way too little wet on wet and need to practice that way more!

Patrick, yeah I struggled a bit with that. In my photo reference most of the view outside the window was very light and blurry, while the tree was much darker than I painted it. Maybe I should have kept the dark to create more depth, but I was afraid that would make it come even closer! Possibly, if I added some reflections on top of the window, maybe it would look less like a poster? Though I doubt I dare to touch it again now. 😉

• #96362 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

@domino Thanks for the link! I’ll check it out. 🙂 I did mean in general. I have done way too little wet on wet and need to practice that way more! Patrick, yeah I struggled a bit with that. In my photo reference most of the view outside the window was very light and blurry, while the tree was much darker than I painted it. Maybe I should have kept the dark to create more depth, but I was afraid that would make it come even closer! Possibly, if I added some reflections on top of the window, maybe it would look less like a poster? Though I doubt I dare to touch it again now. 😉

I wouldn’t touch your painting again as it works well as it is. It was just an observation. Keep up the good work. I enjoy seeing what you’re doing.

Patrick

• #96389 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I love this, Agathe!! I love the pop of blue color (my favorite) against the darks, very nice! Keep those sketching coming; they always make me smile!! 😀

• #96403 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Haha, thanks Lora! I haven’t done one since this. Yesterday I was playing around with colors and feel eager to get back to painting again (no ink), but I have more café photos sitting on my computer that I’ll probably do at some point. 🙂

• #96433 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

You’re welcome, Agathe! If you’re getting in the mood to get back to painting, go for it, girl! 😀 Can’t wait to see more paintings! The landscapes you posted today are wonderful! 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.