Anything Goes – Well Almost! Domino's W&N Pro Pallet

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Domino Marama 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

My tin box for 12 half pans arrived from China, so I’ve created my Winsor and Newton Pro pallet.

Colours: Lamp Black, Perylene Green, Hooker’s Green Light, Cobalt Turquoise, Prussian Blue, Permanent Blue, Alizarin Crimson, Opera Rose, Raw Sierra, New Gamboge, Aureolin, Lemon Yellow Nic.

10 of the colours came as a job lot, I’m not sure if they were meant to be a set or were just random. After experimenting with blends for awhile I felt another blue and a green were needed to make things easier for me. The only other pro W&N I have are some tubes that are about 30 years old, from these I chose Hooker’s Green Light and Permanent Blue to fill pans with to complete the pallet.

This only has Alizarin Crimson and Lemon Yellow in common with my Cotman set, so it’s a little daunting, but the colours do excite me. Apart from the blues – Prussian Blue seems hard to get going and I’m not sure Permanent Blue is a good match for the rest of the colours. Time will tell.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96601 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

Here’s how Prussian Blue mixes with the yellows.

New Gamboge looks like a complementary colour.

No greens from Raw Sienna.

Is Prussian Blue normally strange to work with?

Attachments:
  • #96603 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

Here’s how Permanent Blue mixes with them, it should be obvious why I added it 🙂

Aureolin looks like it’s complement.

Interesting greys with Raw Sienna (I’m beginning to think it’s not a yellow)..

Attachments:
  • #96605 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

The last of the ‘blue’ is Cobalt Turquoise, here it is with the yellows.

The creaminess of this colour catches the granularity of aureolin, making it behave much like a darker lemon yellow nic (anyone know what the nic is short for?) in this mix.

Raw Sienna finally found a green, though it’s probably from neutralising the blue in the turquoise. Which I guess makes Raw Sienna officially an orange.

Attachments:
  • #96607 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

I figured out why I didn’t get many greens from Raw Sienna, Red & Yellow make orange, so it’s a triad mix with blue and good for greys.. Obvious when I think about it 🙂

• #96613 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

New gamboge seems to make nice greens! It’s one of the colors I thought about removing from my palette because I use it so rarely. But I have probably not tried to mix it with blues. I don’t have any of the same blue colors you have through, though I believe cobalt turquoise is one of the ones I recently ordered. I should make more mixing testes such as these cause in the middle of painting, I usually grab the colors I know best.

• #96615 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

W&N Permanent Blue was discontinued in 1995 so I’m not expecting many people will have it. It’s a PB29 pigment and the recommended replacement is Ultramarine Blue (Green Shade).

New Gamboge is one of my characterful colours, it’s kinda got a built in yellow orange underwash which can come through in some mixes. I can see it being very useful for early autumn scenes because of that.

• #96616 Score: 0

Agathe
      Participant
      10 pts

That’s a good point about autumn scenes! My plan was to make a main palette and then put some of the colors I rarely use in an alternative palette so that I can have them available if I need to. I recently ordered an orange, which was also lacking from my palette, along with a purple. The orange colors and the purple hues are those I use the least, which is probably why I considered to take out new gamboge, as it’s a bit of an orange yellow. However, they are all lovely colors, so I’ll experiment more. As soon as all my colors are here, I’ll start setting up my new palette. Strangely enough, I’m moving towards more colors, not less. And mixing less, not more! 🙂 Which sort of goes again the general advice, but I wanted to try to mix colors more on paper and enable me to be more spontaneous. It’s always very interesting to see what colors other people use!

• #96618 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

I don’t think it’s strange considering your pictures tend to be indoors and feature man made items. I’d probably want a lot of different pigments to differentiate materials too if I had your realistic skills.

It’s why (besides being a great mixer) I chose Permanent Blue to add to the 10 someone else chose. It alters the granulation most of the pallet has to a smoother result. I thought it might be useful for man made objects and reducing granulation detail in shadows. I’ve not put that theory to the test yet, but it seems a fair guess on how this’ll work for me. Either that or its use will stand out like a sore thumb and I’ll look for an alternative that’s matches the transparency and granulating of the rest of the pallet 🙂

It seems crazy that lemon yellow appears to be my most opaque colour 🙂

• #96623 Score: 0

Domino Marama: I love Prussian blue! I use it as an alternative to Cyan / Phalo blue, which is so dominating.

Patricia Claire

• #96625 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

Great, maybe you can help me understand if mine is normal 🙂

Do you find it hard to get going and thick, almost sticky in use? Do my swatches look how you’d expect (showing every brush stroke despite being wet enough to be pastel shades)?

I’m pretty sure the pans were old stock from when the W&N pro range was called Artists. This colour seems so strange I’m seriously wondering if it’s gone off somehow. A couple of the other pans looked like they had melted in the heat at some point, though they work fine. Maybe this one wasn’t so lucky despite holding it’s shape?

• #96686 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

I added Hooker’s Green Light to the pallet as a convenience green, and in swatching it’s giving predictable results across the sheet. My flat wash technique is improving by doing these.

I decided my Prussian Blue problems were old age, so I worked a couple of drops of glycerin and ox gall into the top layer. It behaved better (still room to improve) and I’ve since given Aureolin the same treatment as it was a little sticky too.

Attachments:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.