Your Watercolour Paintings Domino#10: Live Long and Prosper

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Annette 2 months ago.

• Author

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

I chose this picture to paint from so I could have another go with masking fluid. My Cotman palette for this was Alazarin Crimson, Cadmium Yellow, Cobalt Blue, Cerulium Blue and Paynes Grey. This time I had a cheap brush and mostly splattered it on to represent the spray. I did a light tint before applying a second splattering of masking.

Ended up with my usual mix of bits that work and bits that don’t, losing control of my skin tone was the biggest disappointment. I really need to work on looking at the reference more often too.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96313 Score: 0

RobinH
    Participant

Very nice muted colors in the water. I love the energy you achieved in the figure and the splattering. The skin color works just fine for me.

• #96318 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

Thanks, but I wish I’d painted some of the board and wet suit before calling the sea done.

Besides the masking fluid practice, I also went into this wanting to try working with more dilute colours and underestimated how dark to go with them for the sea. In hindsight I should have gone with making the sea darker mid tones so the board / splashes stood out more and the wet suit less. I’d already removed the masking fluid when I realised the distance read wasn’t that good, so this goes down as one I abandoned at the wrong moment.

• #96314 Score: 1

RobertF
    Participant
    15 pts

Well done! It reminds me of a painting I did a while back when I first joined Pure Watercolour. The site had weekly photos to paint. I chose to paint the negative and leave the white paper..

Attachments:
    • #96317 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

I chose to paint the negative and leave the white paper..

Good choice! I don’t even consider things like that yet, probably because I’m more used to having to fill the screen with 3D rendering/game engines than painting. I forget not all borders need to be rectangular, thanks for reminding me, I might make that part of my criteria for picking my next subject 🙂

• #96324 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

, Lovely action watercolor, lots of movement. You caught the figure well he looks secure on the board. excellent drawing.  Nice movement in the waves topped off with effective splattering. Lovely piece of work. Thanks for sharing Domino.

Patrick

• #96379 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I see lots of movement here and splashing! You did really well with the figure; they can be so hard! It sounds like even though you aren’t totally pleased with every aspect of this painting, you learned quite a bit from it, so that’s always a plus. 😀

• #96404 Score: 1

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

Thanks. I approach learning with an understanding that the main difference between amateur and expert is attention to detail. What an expert has learned with experience is which details to pay attention to at any given point in the process. So I try to see all the places I paid attention to the wrong thing during the painting to learn from. It’s easy to forget to consider things when just getting the right colour takes all my attention at times.

I’m pretty sure I forgot to allow for drying reducing the colours in the sea this time, though I did have to take an unexpected break after the first wash. Most of what ended up as sea was supposed to be wet in wet over that, not dry. I’d have probably done a third pass to darken the sea but I kinda expected it to look darker once the whites came back. Once I’d removed the masking and realised it didn’t, my options were limited.

So yeah, learnt loads. That’s the main point of my paintings at the moment. Getting one I’m happy with would be the real plus, but as I am very critical of my work so I can learn faster, that might take some time 🙂

• #96405 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

You caught the figure well he looks secure on the board. excellent drawing.

I’m kicking myself for getting the perspective on his right arm wrong (last bit I drew and I rushed to finish I think). I titled the picture to remind me of that lesson.

I liked that the @robertf surfer looks like he is about to wipeout, that the story continues after the picture. I tried to find a reference picture to continue this theme in my next painting but couldn’t find one like this that had a suitable license 🙂

Edit: Found the original and it’s cc-by, so good to go now..

• #96445 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Well done you have caught the energy and splashiness of the surf, The skin tone is fine but just the could be a nbit smaller but they are difficult to do.  Like Robert I painted a similar painting on joining the site and used a similar technique to yours

Attachments:
  • #96447 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Just read back my comment, meant the hands could be a little smaller, but overall well done

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.