Anything Goes – Well Almost! Domino#?: Bugsy Car Reference Picture

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Domino Marama 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

If ever a car was designed to be painted in watercolour, I think this might be it.

Painting seemed a bit slow to the younger me, so I dabbled with photography instead. I was looking through my old photos for something to paint and found this one I took in 1991. It’s a car used in Bugsy Malone which was on display at the Granada Studios Tour.

I’m not entirely sure how I’m going to approach this, I might do some studies to explore my options. If anyone wants to paint it before me, I don’t mind.

Picture License: CC-BY (Domino Marama)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96724 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

This may have been too big a step for my current drawing ability. It’s more Wacky Races than Bugsy Malone..

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96737 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Lol I think it’s very good! Doesn’t look easy to draw!</p>

• #96744 Score: 1

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

Thanks, I thought it’d be easier than it was as it’s mostly simple shapes that I understand.

I am somewhat encouraged though as I’m starting to get artistic inclinations like the hot rod style back fender and big headlights. Though the lights were a last minute change during inking to distract attention from the wheels looking too far forward / low or something.

But still, it’s a step away from just painting what I see as best I can into more artistic interpretation territory. I’m also starting to notice my most confident drawing and painting strokes are when I’m working from a strong mental image of what something looks like, I get shakier when relying on copying what’s in front me rather than what I’m imagining.

• #96751 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

You have done well there Domino. A very tricky subject for anyone to take on. I like the way you have simplified it. I’m thinking the next stage it to paint it?  You may know him already, Liron Yankonsky on youtube draws and paints a lot of cars. Just search his name on youtube. He’s a great guy and a talented artist.

Patrick

• #96757 Score: 0

Domino Marama
      Participant
      5 pts

I’m thinking the next stage is to paint it?

I picked this because I knew my normal style wouldn’t work, that there’s no room for dabbing various colours on until I’m happy with the balance. I try to choose pictures that stretch me in some way, but this one’s pulling me in all directions and I’ve found it a bit intimidating. I need to improve in a few things to have the confidence to paint it. That’s why I’ve been exploring colour mixing and practising flat washes doing the swatches.

I’m leaning towards mixes of mostly Lemon Yellow, some Alizarin Crimson and a touch of Prussian Blue for the body. I still need to do some tests for the tyre colours – my best guess is some combinations of Raw Sienna, Permanent Blue and Lamp Black.

I’ve not ruled out doing some thumbnails to practice and test out how much of the scene I want to add around it. I remember feeling really lucky that a couple of the employees stopped to chat to each other in almost the perfect spot when I took the photo. It seems a shame to leave them out now but I think I only want a puddle of ground and I’m not sure they work in that context.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.