Your Watercolour Paintings Conkers sketch

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 5 months ago.

• Author

brynteg
    Participant
    1 pt

It really is Autumn now here in Wales. I got these conkers from the horse chestnut tree in my garden, and could not resist some of the lovely browns and yellows in the leaves and the conkers themselves. I painted the leaves first and then drew in pen over, whilst for the conkers, I did the drawing first and then painted. I got a bit confused with the shadows.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96777 Score: 0

Jim
    Participant
    3 pts

You certainly caught the feel of autumn here. Well done

• #96782 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Bonkers for your conkers. That one in the shell looks so fresh and you really have got those autumn leaves right.

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #96796 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

Beautifully penned and painted! Excellent work.

• #96799 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

Nicely painted. Really like dark browns with highlights.

• #96810 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

So lovely! I love how shiny the nuts are and also how you’ve solved the yellowing in the leaves. It inspires me to try the same thing if I find a nice leaf. It’s so nicely loose painted and looks so fresh!

• #96827 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    13 pts

Beautiful!

• #96830 Score: 0

Howard W
    Participant
    14 pts

I wish I could see our world’s details as well as you. Nicely done.

• #96860 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    13 pts

Fabulous sketch! Well done

• #96981 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

This is really beautiful!

• #97068 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Lovely sketch, Brynteg, the conkers especially look just ready for some little boy to come along and string them for a game.

As regards the shadows, I’m guessing that your studio, like mine, had more than one light source which can be a hindrance for still life painting.    I find that when I come to the point of putting in the final shadows I turn on only one strong light source on the subject  and take that as my point of reference.   Hope that idea helps.

Joy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.