Your Watercolour Paintings Chinese lanterns

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

I haven’t posted a painting in a while…haven’t had a lot of time to paint anything too post worthy. I’m getting used to Arches CP..it’s better quality than I’m used to so it takes getting used to. Only doing small 4 x 6 paintings on it for now….had fun doing these lanterns. 😀

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97279 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Wow, only 4 x 6.  Great lanterns.  I’m not sure about the background.  It would really hard to get a flat background particularly when getting close to the lanterns but I find the white space around the globes a little distracting.  I wonder if it would be possible to mix hard and soft edges somehow?  Anyone else want to comment on this?

• #97280 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks, David. I see what you mean and I agree with you. I did the background last and to be honest by that time, my eyes were blurry from doing close up work for too long so I thought I was getting paint right up to the edge of the lanterns, but now that my eyes are clearer, I see what you mean. If it was a bigger painting, I would go back and fix that. I just did mostly wet on wet for the background as I was running out of sunlight and trying to cook supper at the same time LOL. I didn’t really plan for such a variation of the dark and light in the blue, but I’m still getting used to this paper and it dried differently than what I planned. The white spots I left in the background were supposed to suggest stars in the night sky, but I thought they were a bit distracting, too.  Thanks for your comment. 😀

• #97287 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

I have to disagree.   I really like this painting and, for me, the background works perfectly.   A night sky is never solidly one colour and definitely not when the lanterns are casting their reflected glow all around.   Really well done!

Joy

• #97295 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Nice, bright colors!

Paula

• #97296 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thank you, Joy and Paula! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.