This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 5 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

There is snow in tomorrow’s forecast so I decided to redo my Central Park painting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97251 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Another nice one, David.   Very chilly looking.

• #97268 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Very pretty, David! I love how it looks like late afternoon, early evening with all the lights in the windows glowing, but still a bit of sunshine to create those tree shadows. I’ve been to Central Park many times in warm weather but would love to see it one day just like this…covered in snow and people ice skating. Beautiful scene you’ve created. 🙂

• #97338 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

I really like this BUT, I cant work out why the rink appears to slope.  I would love to see the photo it was done from.

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #97344 Score: 0

DavidG14
      Participant
      14 pts

Thanks Brad.  I’ve done this twice and now I have to find the first version to see if the rink is sloping in that one also.  My recollection is that it was different in that area.  It wasn’t a photo and it wasn’t from my Currier and Ives book so maybe a greeting card.

• #97342 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    6 pts

Cool painting David. You have nice style that’s very prominent. I can recognize your painting every time. I really like cool gray buildings with warm incandescent lights in the windows.

• #97396 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Lovely David, will this be your Christmas card this year?

• #97404 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Its actually the second version I’ve done because i did the first on very cheap paper. Brad is right about the slope on the ice so the first will be my entry into my local VA arts contest. I’ve been competing for a few yearsand won last year bit a few years ago, one that only received an honorable mention was selected to turn into a birthday card for veterans who were hospitalized on their birthday.

• #97411 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

The rink appears to slope because of the viewpoint.    Instead of the eye level being in line with the horizon the picture is taken from the viewpoint of someone looking down on the scene.   You could reduce the effect (in another version) by forshortening the frozen lake and gradually decreasing the size of the figures as it recedes into the distance but it doesn’t really detract from the painting anyway.   The scene lends itself to this naive style of painting where the usual rules of perspective don’t apply.

Joy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.