Anything Goes – Well Almost! Carolyn Hawkins watercolors

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mrchirps 2 days, 2 hours ago.

• Author

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

I’m posting several watercolor paintings done by my friend, Carolyn who is a PW member.      She draws very well, but never painted until she joined our neighborhood art group.  I got her started with watercolors and she took off.  Her IPad skills are not as good so she hasn’t posted recent works.

Thanksgiving day while cooking dinner for family she tripped over her daughter’s large dog while carrying cutting board, knife and mushrooms…flat on her face.  She broke both arms and has a contusion on her forehead and is recovering after a long surgery.  I have  her permission to post her artwork.  I hope you wish her well and that she’ll be back to painting in about six months, hopefully sooner.
    Thanks, Carol

3DBCABC2-ECB7-408D-8F64-AB52687D2525
    DD2CBD8A-77CF-4038-AC1F-2E4C7797E585

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97357 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Lovely paintings! Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

Paula

• #97358 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you Paula.  I will pass on your message, Carol

• #97361 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

So sorry to hear this about your friend! Hope she recovers quickly. These are both very good! The dark background on the sheep one really makes him pop. Her brush strokes really capture the curly wooliness of his hair.

The blue detail on the other one is beautiful as are the flowers. 🙂

• #97372 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Two lovely paintings, Carol.   The sheep shows real character.   Your friend can be justifiably proud of them.

Do please pass on my good wishes for a speed and complete recovery and a rapid return to her artwork.

Joy

• #97373 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you Lora and Joy.  I know Carolyn will appreciate your comments about her paintings and also your good wishes for her recovery.   Her violets were painted from life.  She has a green thumb…they are in constant bloom.  The sheep from a photograph.  For someone who never painted before, she amazes me.  Unlike me, she jumps right in to her painting and doesn’t stop until it is finished.   I will see her again tomorrow and will show her your messages.

Thank you very much..

Carol

• #97379 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi Carol, it was great to chat by email and keep in touch 🙂 What a talented artist your friend Carolyn is. She demonstrates two completely different subjects, flowers and animals both I find testing. The way Carolyn has painted the sheep is delicate and well considered. lots of transparent washes of colour help to build up and describe the coat perfectly. I love the deep blue background which shows the Lama of perfectly. Glassey looking eyes are very well painted. It looks to be like she lifted out colour for the highlights in the eye?

Again The vase of flowers demonstrates a very good understanding of drawing and watercolor painting.  The design on the vase is well drawn out and helps to describe the curves of the vase. I think Carolyn can turn her hand to both detailed and loose painting which many would envy that ability.

I wish Carolyn a speedy recovery from such a nasty accident and look forward to seeing more of her work in the future.

Best Wishes

Patrick

• #97385 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thanks Patrick for your positive comments about Carolyn’s paintings.  She will be pleased   To read them.  I’ll show them to her tomorrow when I visit as she cannot use her arms and hands to hold her iPad.  Reading your message, I’m certain she will be encouraged to heal quickly and get back to painting.

Thanks again for your good wishes and encouragement.

happy travels and painting.

best wishes, Carol

• #97393 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Well done for posting for Carol when she is in recovery, her paintings are beautiful and cheerful and we may not have seen them if it wasnt for mr chirps.  Wishing Carol a very speedy recovery and hope to see some more once she has recovered

• #97409 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Thank you Annette.  Carolyn is making progress and begins physical therapy next week.  She is a trooper and will attempt to cross the street to pay a short visit to our neighborhood art group meeting this week.

Carol

• #97437 Score: 0

mrchirps
    Participant
    4 pts

Yes, Patrick, Carolyn did lift the color on the sheep’s eye.  Carol

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.