Your Watercolour Paintings Café sketch with man

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Brad 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

I’m not sure if this technically is a watercolour, as there’s more ink than paint. I’m impatiently waiting for my Sailor fude pen as I want to loosen up my drawings, so I decided to draw this whole thing with a brush pen. I wish I was able to fuzz less over details as I do these mostly to practice for when I’m able to do urban sketching. People won’t sit as still as he did in the photo!

The problem with painting the exterior from photos such as these is that the exterior is burnt out in a white blur because the focus is inside. (Which is why I love painting windows on the spot, cause you get to focus on both!) So it’s hard making out any details, and when you can’t see what’s there, it’s hard do even do a loose sketch. But I’m hoping the eye is drawn to the inside.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #96585 Score: 0

Brian
    Participant
    19 pts

Think it does everything you wanted to achieve.

Facebook.com/BParnellArt

• #96586 Score: 0

JudyR
    Participant
    42 pts

This is wonderful, Agathe! Excellent sketch. I think you captured the sheltered feeling of the interior with its dark walls and shadow while depicting the light from the outside through the glass onto the tables and through the door. The focus is where it should be on the gentleman reader. It’s perfectly executed in my opinion.

• #96588 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Like it a lot Agathe. I think you have the balance of detail perfect when looking through the window. Too much detail and it will be too confused. I like the way you have left highlights around chairs and tables etc. While the painting is dark and heavy it still has sparkle.

Patrick

• #96590 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thank you guys! I recently ordered a book on sketching people, urban sketching style (Sketching People: An Urban Sketcher’s Guide to Drawing Figures and Face). It hasn’t arrived yet, but I’m hoping it will give me a few pointers on capturing figures. Especially moving ones! I also need to practice drawing hands. I don’t think the result here is horrible, but I find hands particularly difficult to sketch loosely as it quickly ends up looking cartoonish. But it’s nice to hear that it works here! That Pentel brush pen must hold incredible amounts of ink. It is cartridge based only and I am stil using the first cartridge, even though filling in several large areas such as here! I do have Indian ink and I’m thinking of one day trying to use ink and a paint brush. Not too practical on the go, but would probably be cheaper. The cartridges aren’t super cheap and I have to order them from Japan.

• #96591 Score: 0

Domino Marama
    Participant
    5 pts

But I’m hoping the eye is drawn to the inside.

Mine was drawn to the gentleman reading. Nice work, I like the subtle highlights showing he’s reading by lamp light. It tells a story of a favourite chair with plenty of light to read by, because of his aging eyesight.

• #96592 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks Domino! It’s not always easy to tell with your own work to see where it leads the eye. At least I tend to notice all the mistakes first and foremost. 😉

• #96598 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    8 pts

This is very good! I like the darks and light is great! It’s more like a painting then a sketch. Whatever medium is used I’d still say its a watercolor.

• #96600 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thank you, Alex!

• #96645 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Wow, Agathe!! This is so wonderful! I think the amount of detail outside the window is just right. I love all the dark inside the cafe as I think it really brings out the light areas nicely. Well done on the man! Very nice sketch! 😀

• #96661 Score: 0

Agathe
    Participant
    10 pts

Thanks so much, Lora! As for the man, I was expecting to have to redo him over and over. But that there is my first attempt at getting his face right, so I just left it how it was. 😉

• #96662 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

I am blown away by this. Its really very good indeed. It really focus’s on the man but with the interest all around not been lost.  Excellent job and i mean truly excellent.

Take time to look and make sure you see.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.