Your Watercolour Paintings Breezy autumn day from Peter Woolley video

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Lora 6 hours, 18 minutes ago.

• Author

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

This started out as just a half-hearted messy loose attempt at practicing on my new Arches CP, but when I started putting the tree trunks and branches in, it started to actually look like a painting so I started trying a bit harder. I wasn’t paying close attention to the video in the beginning so I didn’t get the best tree shapes. I went a little crazy as usual with the branches..less would’ve been more…my brush just wouldn’t stop painting them! In the end I kind of liked it. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97286 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

A lovely windy feel to the painting, Lora.   I’m just a little concerned that it appears to be blowing in two directions at once.   I’d be tempted to split it down the middle for two smaller paintings.

Joy

• #97297 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thank you, Joy. If you’re talking about the tree branches reaching toward each other in the center, that’s actually how it was in Peter Woolley’s painting that I copied. I actually chose this to do because that’s my favorite part. I felt like that’s just how the branches were growing, but that doesn’t seem too realistic. I just don’t think it’s meant to be too realistic, more artsy maybe. His painting had a whimsical feel to it to me and that’s why I chose to try it. But I do understand what you’re saying. This one is just a bit of fun. 😀

• #97294 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Nice colors and shadows.

Paula

• #97298 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks, Paula! I chose colors pretty close to what Peter used in his version because I really thought it added to the whimsical autumn feel of the scene. 😀

• #97309 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Nicely done 🙂 reminds me of Winnie the Pooh’s blustery day!

• #97311 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Awwww thanks, K8! That’s the best compliment I could get as I loved reading Pooh books as a child! I felt like this scene looked like a children’s book illustration, also. Great minds think alike! 😀

• #97337 Score: 0

Brad
    Participant
    18 pts

Lovely and free. Nice and expressive. Well done

Take time to look and make sure you see.

• #97444 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, Brad! It turned out a lot better than I thought it would lol.

• #97343 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    6 pts

Lovely painting Lora! I’ve seen this video but didn’t attempt it myself. Peter makes it look easy 🙂

• #97445 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, Alex! You’re right Peter always makes it look so easy!

• #97395 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Lovely Lora, floaty and breezy, fresh and not over worked, nothing more to say, splendid!

• #97446 Score: 0

Lora
      Participant
      2 pts

Thanks, Annette! I had fun painting this and had to force myself to stop adding branches and falling leaves! So easy to overwork a painting!

• #97407 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Charming painting and just full of life.  I don’t mean to be critical but its a little too symmetrical which could be fixed by matting it off center. Its too late but I would make the path somewhat wider at the entrance and angle towars the horizon. These are composition ( rule of thirds and S shape) suggestions only because the execution is great.

• #97443 Score: 0

Lora
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks for the positive comments, David. As for the criticism…like I explained in the title of my post and in a comment above, this is from a video by UK artist Peter Woolley, so he is the one who broke the composition rules. I know about the rules, but I’ve also read that sometimes it’s ok to break them. Usually I don’t like symmetry in paintings, but this painting of Peter’s just really appealed to me because it seemed whimsical and fun for some reason. I like how the trees seem to be reaching towards each other even though that’s not realistic. Sometimes I like artsy, nonrealistic paintings, but not always. This was one of those that appealed to me so thought I’d try it for practice on my new paper. Just a bit of fun. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.