Paint With Patrick Two Boats Boats On The Shore – Flat Light

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi everyone, I was down at Keyhaven on the South Coast of England last week, one of my favourite places relax and paint and I did a spot of Plein air. I struggled with the flat light. Would love to see how you would all tackle it.  Picture and video provided below. If you want to create a stronger light source feel free to do so.

When you post yours create a new topic and I look forward to seeing what you can do.

Patrick

• This topic was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Patrick.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Patrick.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Patrick.
    • This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Patrick.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #95183 Score: 0

Thanks for sharing your reflections on the painting process. You say which colours you are using, but nothing about the size of the picture, the paper or the size of brushes you used. Best wishes, Patricia

Patricia Claire

• #95189 Score: 0

Patrick
    Keymaster
    30 pts

Hi Patricia this was just an impromptu plein air session I did while on holiday a couple of weeks ago.  So I didn’t really edit the video. as a full tutorial I am going to re-call best I can what I used to paint the scene.

9″ x 7″ watercolour paper

Alizarine Crimson,  Cadmium Red, Cobalt Blue, Cerulean Blue, Pathalo Blue, Cad Yellow

Size 4 squirrle mob brush, Chinese size 5

I wouldn’t get to hung up on brush sizes just use what feels comfortable to you.  Just try not to use tiny brushes.

Hope that helps a bit.

Patrick

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.