Your Watercolour Paintings Besalu, Spain

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Annette 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Author

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

<h3 class=”title-and-badge style-scope ytd-video-renderer”><span style=”font-size: 1em; font-weight: normal;”>This is from the reference photo by Chien Chung-Wei.  It looks nothing like his which is why I think I </span><span style=”font-weight: normal;”>can</span><span style=”font-size: 1em; font-weight: normal;”> post it.  Its much too stark and I was thinking of adding people but that will likely destroy the painting.  Joy has recently been very helpful with suggestions to improve my paintings and I’m hoping she and some of the other  viewers will help with this one.</span></h3>

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97423 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    12 pts

This is nice! I agree that some people in the scene would be a good addition, however. You might try a trick a friend of mine uses: She paints some figures on a separate sheet of paper, then cuts them out and moves them around on the painting till she finds a spot where they seem to be situated correctly. Then she traces them lightly and paints them in.  It seems to work!

Paula

• #97425 Score: 0

AlexK
      Participant
      7 pts

What a good idea about cut out people:) I would never think  about something like this. Not that I paint people often:)

• #97426 Score: 0

AlexK
    Participant
    7 pts

Cool painting David. I like you brickwork on the right side building. Patrick would probably suggest softening some edges and color variations on the walls, but he is busy traveling:)

i like your color scheme, very well thought out. They look colorful but yet subtle. It’s something hard to achieve. And tonality is spot on.

• #97442 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Hi David,

Nice perspective on the buildings and nice colour scheme.   My only thought to make the scene “pop” would be in the shadow areas.   The light is obviously coming from the right but your buildings on both sides of the street are of similar tones..   The ones on the right need a shadow wash over them and then the cast shadows deepenning..   Pay attention to the building at the front where the sun shades are – the cast shadow would start from the foot of the building.

I agree that some people would add realism to the scene.   The cut outs are a good idea.   Just remember that perspective applies to people too.   With the obvious exception of little children, figures diminish into the distance but the heads are always on a level (or near enough).

Joy

• #97454 Score: 0

DavidG14
    Participant
    14 pts

Thanks, Joy.  I messed up a couple of the people but can always redo.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    • #97459 Score: 0

JudyR
      Participant
      42 pts

Hi David! I like your first attempt, the colors and detail are great. I agree that deeper shadows, particularly where the buildings meet in the middle would add more depth and contrast. As far as adding people, in my opinion, yours are a bit big in scale for the scene. I think the couple in the distance and the one woman walking toward them would be enough and wouldn’t distract from your lovely architecture. Then a potted plant or two against the buildings would add more “life” to the scene and a bit of softness.

• #97497 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    12 pts

Its a complex scene to my mind but you have handled it well, I think people would add more interest to the scene, good tip about cutting out people shapes!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.