Anything Goes – Well Almost! Autumn in Respryn (Acrylic)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Joy Dix 5 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Hi All.   This is a first for me.   Whilst I have used acrylics before, I’ve always used them in a watercolour style but this is a complete departure.    I attended a one day course painting in acrylics with a knife.

I don’t know that I’m ready to throw away my brushes yet but I enjoyed the experience and wasn’t entirely displeased with the result.    It’s certainly a fun way of painting.

Joy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • #97322 Score: 0

K8
    Participant
    14 pts

Nice atmosphere achieved here 😉 Great placement of light and shadow

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  K8.
  • #97325 Score: 0

Paula
    Participant
    11 pts

Hi Joy,

Wow, the texture you have achieved by using a knife is wonderful!

Paula

• #97326 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks for your comments K8 and Paula.    Yes, Paula, it does give a lot of texture but it’s a weird way of painting.   When you’re putting on the base layer you have to think about leaving bumps and edges that will pick up paint in a light pass afterwards so that you don’t actually paint small twigs, leaves and grasses etc. you simply draw the flat of the knife over them when they’re dry and “hope” that they will appear, as if by magic.

It was fun.

Joy

• #97394 Score: 0

Annette
    Participant
    11 pts

Joy, this is wonderful so different from our watercolour washes, great textures achieved with the knife and a richness of depth and colour, a technique you should contine to explore

• #97414 Score: 0

Joy Dix
    Participant
    2 pts

Thanks Annette.   Yes, I’d certainly like to do more.   I was using borrowed equipment at the workshop but I’ve dropped plenty of (not very subtle) hints for Christmas. (LOL)

Joy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.